Episode Five: Adam #11

"Zie likes you," Shana commented as the child, Malika, ran off across the playground.

Instead of hair, Malika's head was covered in dreadlocks of bluish flesh, but she had no tendrils elsewhere on her body. They are improving the protocol, Zeta realized with a start.

"You've been an inspiration to our community," said Shana, whose full name was Manishana. It meant "wishful." It fit the woman. She was full human with long, dark hair. She wore a caftan and sandals on her feet. Her jewelry and flamboyant air spoke of a free thinker. The necklace was religious, a branch of the Cult of the Mother. The inscription read: Life finds a way. "It's an honor to meet you," she went on. "A real trailblazer."

Zeta gave the woman a weak smile. They were sharing tea at a stand on 16 above, on the rim court.

Shana looked away. "Perhaps I shouldn't be so excited," she commented.

"I..." The word understand stuck in her throat. "You have a beautiful child. Zie seems so full of life."

"It's good to see. Zie's been sick a while."

"I'm glad she's getting help," Zeta said, her voice earnest.

"We'll need to stay a while for some long-term treatment," Shana said. "You've done well, risen high . . . in the bureaucracy. Am I to assume that's why you are here?"

Zeta nodded, a sadness filling her. "I wish the best for you and your child, but I have a job to do as well."

"Of course," Shana replied. "I didn't realize it would fall to you. I apologize. I had no intention of putting you in this position."

Zeta just stared at her, but the woman seemed sincere. She wasn't the one who should be apologizing. "Do you understand how this works?" Zeta asked.

The woman nodded. "My husband is on Barthon. Doing penal work. He will accept whatever consequence, add it to his time there. When zie's treatment is done and he's completed his time, we will reunite somewhere. Hopefully not bother you again."

"I...well, obviously reports will have to be made. But let me talk to my boss. If your husband is serving time for this, I don't see why there needs to be new charges necessarily."

The woman stared at her. "No?"

Zeta shrugged. "I have to talk to my boss, of course. But I just want what is best for Malika."

"Of course, that would be wonderful. And I promise when this is over, we'll move on."

"Actually, these people, the Americans from the surface, have their share of biases. I can't wrap my head around half of them. But they don't have this one. Surprisingly. It's kind of refreshing. You might want to think about that."

The woman thanked her profusely. Zeta left her and headed back to her office, wondering what had gotten into her and how she was going to convince her boss not to file more charges. They always did in cases like these. Legal usually took the stance that the parents were trying to make the healer an accessory to the original crime, at the very least. Some took it to extremes, trying to re-prosecute the original crime of performing illegal genetic experiments, or accusing the parents of trying to evade justice, or embroiling their jurisdiction in diplomatic conflicts.

Because these sorts of crimes happened across jurisdictional lines, diplomacy had a role to play. But Zeta would neither bring the charges nor try the case. How much could she really do?