Episode 8: The Sting #18

"You seem in a good mood," Cheryl commented as Lannister led her into a small conference room where he hosted most of his private interviews.

Peeta came in and sat glasses of some iced tea concoction in front of them. He had a small plate of appetizers but they both shook their heads no. He offered refreshments to her crew, they'd be using Consortium recording technology for this and they had nothing to do. Lannister wasn't even sure why she'd brought them, except maybe it was her station's habit.

"I am," Lannister said. "And you will be, too. I have some big news and you get to hear it first."

"Intriguing," she commented. "Well, then should we get to it."

She asked a half dozen introductory sorts of questions and then got right down to the issue that "viewers are most concerned about" prostitution on the station.

"And I understand," Lannister interrupted. "I have moral objections as well. But I want to emphasize that we are talking about two very different issues."

"And those are?"

"In the consortium sex work is a small part, but a part of, certain service professions. Its regulated to prevented many of the abuses we've seen on our planet and in our culture. The people who work in these industries do so of their own free will, and with the planned economy, it's the truth. There are plenty of opportunities to earn money in other ways, and no one chooses such these occupations because they need the money.

"So our first issue is whether those industries have any place on the station, on the collective or in parts where our Consortium hosts and visitors stay."

"And the other issue?"

"On the planet's surface, the culture and the economy are so different. So many young girls are forced into sex work by circumstances, drug addictions or by violent men who prey on them. This is our other issue. How to help those women."

"And you think you can? Help those women?"

"I know it," he replied.

"By letting them practice their trade up there? How does this help them?"

"We've had one hundred and four women apply at the personal service bureau in the last two weeks alone," he said. Cheryl made a practiced noise of surprise. "Two have applied to service academies, on Saras or Shin. Two. The rest have found jobs, are starting lives, in other fields. They have received medical treatment for addictions, mental health or any infections they may have picked up along the way. But they are getting out."

"And what does that say about the whole issue?" She asked.

"That the critics have a point," Lannister conceded. "But so does the other side. We have found that most women involved aren't willing. But there are women who do this for their own personal reasons. But this isn't my big news."

"And that would be?"

"The personal service bureau has been overseen by several departments, including healing, Consortium officials familiar with what it takes to be part of the industry there, and my security office."

"Your security office? What is their role?"

"We suspected, and experience has proven it out, that the first wave would mostly be brought in by traffickers, seeking to use the uncertain legality to increase their profits and limit their risks. And they were wrong, very wrong."

Cheryl raised an eyebrow.

"Whatever the Consortium thinks on the subject of sex work, they fully agree with America on issues like slavery. And don't doubt me, trafficking is slavery, pure and simple. Abducting young girls, beating them, forcing them into sex work, its' despicable to us and its despicable to them.