Episode Six: Africa #22

"How was vacation?" Lannister asked as Fox sat down in one of the chairs in Lannister's office. "Did you have a good time?"

He looked at Lannister and then over at Walsh. The three of them still frequently got together in Lannister's office at the start of the day. They were the core of Lannister's team. And they had all been on the Cambridge as well.

Fox sighed. "Yeah, mostly."

"Talk about faint praise," Walsh commented. "Problems with Nara?"

"No," Fox said. "We had a great time. Just, something I need to talk to you two about anyway," he said. "Klempke."

Lannister scowled. Walsh furrowed his brow, confused. "Klempke?"

"Klempke and Green," Lannister said.

"Oh, that Klempke," Walsh said with a groan.

"Yeah, had a run in," Fox said. He told them briefly about what had happened.

"Shit. Some vacation," Walsh said.

"I know. It's just, I think he's serious about penance, or whatever. About not being that person. I just don't know if that's possible, how it works or what I can do."

"Probably nothing," Lannister said. "He needs to make that journey himself. Being honest, that's a big first step. God, if I had known about Thailand, the Philippines."

Walsh shook his head. "You can't control what the men did off duty, sir. No point beating yourself up over it."

Lannister sighed and nodded. "I suppose you're right," he said. To Fox, he added, "As to your dilemma, I think you've done enough, considering. I can put out some feelers to his old crew. Whitman. Davies knew him, I don't know how well. Martens. Martens was a great talker and listener. He'd bend over backwards for one of the crew. Maybe he can do something, message him."

"Thanks, that makes me feel better," Fox said. "And with that off my chest . . ." He pulled out his slate to show the guys a few still shots of his vacation, some of the better moments.

Thanks for reading! This is the end of Episode Six: Africa. 

Stay tuned for Episode Seven: Homecoming

Blurb: When Sophia's sister Shaelynn arrives on Shoshone Station, she finds herself being dragged back to a life she thought she'd left behind, the life of Zach. But what can she do, her mom is dying. Unless Sophia can help her.

Kleppie thought he would return to Texas a hero. He'd been part of the famous USS Cambridge crew. He'd been to space. But he quickly finds that doesn't mean much to those left behind.