Episode Five: Adam #9

"Been seeing you on the news," Dad said through Skype to Lannister. Lannister blushed but was happy. "All the time," Dad went on. "Doing a bang-up job, as far as I can see."

How will he feel if the NRA starts raising a stink? Lannister wondered. He shook the thought off. There were issues much closer to home. "Thanks. I bungled the whole meteor thing a few weeks back, but I feel like I'm getting my feet now."

"Nonsense. Idiots. Think a meteor is going to crash into Earth? Hasn't happened in thousands of years of history, but they let someone convince them it will happen this instant? Fools. But you handled them as well as fools can be handled. And that commander-in-chief of yours got the council together to deal with them. Still don't think much of some of his policies, but I'll give him credit where it's due. I'm sure you nudge him in the right direction. You're turning into quite a statesman."

Lannister laughed. "I am hardly in a position to nudge the president in anything. And I might need every bit of statesmanship next week when you guys arrive."

Dad raised an eyebrow.

"Ad— uh, Brooke showed up on my doorstep the other day."

"On your doorstep?"

"Staying on the station," Lannister explained. He coughed. "With me."

Dad fixed him with a look.

"It's family, no matter what's going on between everyone down there."

Dad gave a curt nod, one that communicated his approval. "So what is going on? I hear she wants to be called Adam or something."

"Yeah, you know she's always been something of a tomboy."

Dad snorted. "Even as a little thing. Some are like that. But there's a big stretch from tomboy to being a boy."

"If this name makes her more comfortable, who does it hurt to humor her?" Lannister knew he was misgendering Adam, but he also knew this was how his father thought of zie, and trying to correct him would only deepen his resistance.

"It's hurting her mother, that's who," Dad said.

"I know, but you know Brooke . . . I mean, Adam. Stubborn. We all are. I remember someone else who ran away when they were seventeen."

Dad snorted. "There was a war going on. I served my country."

"Vietnam. Not the most popular war our country has fought."

"Wars aren't a popularity contest."

"I know. You taught me that. To make hard decisions and then stick to them. It's one of the things I most respect about you."

For a moment Lannister thought his dad might blush. "And you think that's what Brooke is doing? Making a hard decision by expecting us to use a new name? Sounds more like teen rebellion. She joining the Navy?"

"Navy, no. Wants to join the Kurgara though."

"Kur—?"

"Kurgara," Lannister said slowly. "They are a . . . military order. It's hard to explain. They learn to fight, but they also learn healing and combat medicine. They take oaths to protect the weak."

Dad gave a dry chuckle. "Well, that sounds like Brooke. Always beating up some bully or sticking up for some other kid."

"Indeed. It's far from certain, but I think it feels like a good fit. And I don't want to fight about it."

"I don't either," Dad said. "It's between her and her mom, as far as I am concerned. And I'm glad she's safe with you. You are right; she's family."

"Good. I really am looking forward to you guys coming for the holidays. It'll be nice. A little payback. All those years on ships, I couldn't do my share of hosting."

"For obvious reasons, nothing should you feel bad about it."

"I don't," Lannister said. "But I do feel good about being able to host the family Christmas this year."

"Your mother can't wait to get another spa day," Dad joked. "And the others are all excited to see the sights. For me, I'm content to see my important statesman son."

"I have a few treats for you too," Lannister said. "I shall give you a tour of my command deck, which I never use because this ship doesn't actually go anywhere. But in the unlikely event that we did, I have a command deck. We've also got that new anti-missile crew. It's pretty restricted, but I think I might be able to get you a tour there too."

Dad's eyes shone, but he said, "Don't go to any trouble for my part."

"It's no trouble at all." Lannister didn't care how much trouble it was, as long as he could see that light in his father's eyes a few more times. "Anyway, I have stuff to be doing. See you in a couple weeks?"