Chapter 3: Tempers Flare

I drummed my fingers against the table eager to distract myself from my parents admonishing stares. My dad sat at his usual seat at the head of the table while my mum flipped a pancake over the pan. 

"Jared can you get the maple syrup please?"

I stared at my fingers as my dad got up and headed to the kitchen. Usually I would be the one she summoned to fetch what she needed but ever since last night they had barely uttered a word to me. The tension was thick in the air, it saturated every particle I breathed in, each second more suffocating than before. All I could think of was eating my breakfast and getting out of here.

Once they set the table and got seated both faces turned my way, their gazes unfaltering. 

"So are you going to explain what happened last night?" My dad finally asked breaking the unbearable silence.

I picked at the pan cake on my plate, it didn't look so appetizing anymore. 

"I thought I saw someone outside," I replied curtly not looking up.

"So you decided to break the window?" My mother's eyes widened, incredulity evident on her face.

"I told you I did not break it. Whoever it was outside did it," I replied slowly hoping they would finally understand if I spoke the words clearly. My explanation would be the same no matter how many times they asked me. The whole time my mother treated the scratches on my arms I had said those same words. Why couldn't they just believe me? 

"Rosalie." My father spoke sternly. "The glass pieces were scattered on the floor outside on your balcony. If someone had broken your window they would be all over your bedroom floor instead. Do you get what I'm trying to say?"

Well if they were going to go into the logicality of the situation then obviously I was at a disadvantage because there was nothing logical about a vampire needing my permission to get into my room, right? How was I supposed to explain the technicalities of the situation when I myself questioned them?

I couldn't believe my parents thought I was capable of simply breaking my room window, it made me downright angry.

"Yes I get what you're trying to say. You think I'm a liar, plain and simple." I stabbed my fork into the flattened cake and broke of a chunk before stuffing it into my mouth. The faster I ate this, the sooner I could get out of here.

"Honey, we're not accusing you of anything." My mum placed her hand on my shoulder and gently squeezed. "But if you're going through anything, or there's something on your mind that you want to talk about, we just want you to know that we're here for you, okay?"

Honey. That word made me more uncomfortable than I already was. I cast a nervous glance at my father, his conversation on the phone yesterday still fresh on my mind.

"Well is there, honey?" My mother pressed and as my father caught me staring it was his turn to squirm in his seat. If his words the day before did not arouse my suspicion, his reaction right now sure did. 

"I'm sure she's fine dear. Let's just give her the benefit of the doubt, shall we?" my father interrupted quickly. "Rosalie aren't you running late for school?"

I wasn't but I couldn't stand sitting there looking at him so I grabbed my bag and walked out of the house without saying goodbye. The fact that my father could be cheating on my mother was something I just could not comprehend. I mean why would he need to. My mother was perfect.

Beautiful, caring, a successful tv host for a cooking show and the best cook in the world. I'd always thought they were the happiest couple ever but it turned out I had been walking around blindly the whole time. The cracks in their marriage were suddenly so apparent I couldn't blink them away even if I wanted to.