Chapter 8

Rift

There is a point when I use a Scourge that my body sets into a type of high. This is only possible if I've been doing it for an extended period of a time.

My vision hazes over, and everything in my mind goes blank. I'm powerful. I am the darkness. I am the fear. I dwell here in this cold, lightless place where there are no broken hearts because emotion does not exist. Here I understand life. It's the familiar place my mother brought me up in. There is a comfort to this state of being because my childhood is littered in times my mother forced me to perform Scourges to save my own life.

I'm jolted into reality when Scenna grabs my arm. "He's had enough, Rift!" she exclaims. "We got our information. I think his heart will give out if you keep it up."

I glance down at Loper. He lies face down, muttering in an inaudible stupor, on the ground of his tent. Blood seeps from every orifice on his face. He closes his eyes and his muttering stops. He's fallen unconscious.

Beautiful, isn't it? the Dark Lord mutters. This is what it feels like to serve me. This is what it feels like to be me. This power comes from me. This feeling comes from me.

I wish he'd shut up. If he's not going to take control then why is he saying anything? He waits around for me to go about living my life, letting me think I'm in control, and then he seizes me in the worst moments. That's why he'd made me hurt Kyla. I'd thought I was on a break from his power.

The Dark Lord is like my mother with his mind games and breaking of wills. All so he can laugh when the pain hits, while he shatters others' hope.

"Rift, you scared me, I thought the Dark Lord had taken over," Scenna says with a sigh of relief.

"I'm fine. Are you okay?" I ask Scenna, ignoring the Dark Lord's ongoing dialogue.

Scenna nods, gazing down at Loper. "I think so." She wipes her face, and I notice sweat beading over her skin. Her hands visibly shake.

"Do you want to do the honors?" I ask her, extending a hand down at Loper. "Since we got everything out of him."

"Honors of what?" Scenna asks, she sniffs and wipes her face again.

"Killing him," I say, studying her reaction.

With eyes widened, she backs away from Loper's fallen form. Her brow knits and she shakes her head at me. "No, no..." she murmurs, "I shouldn't. It wouldn't be right."

"What are you talking about? The guy raped you. He raped you with his friend. At least that's what I got from your little conversation on our way over here," I say.

"Yeah, he made me do some pretty nasty shit, and he did things to me that left me in pain for weeks. After every visit, it wasn't a single occurrence," Scenna tells me, she closes her eyes and her bottom lip quivers. "I want to kill him. Don't get me wrong... but even as a captain, I'm not above the laws of our land. I can possibly get him with some cruel and unusual charges along with rape." She looks at me. "I could probably get you with some cruel and unusual charges as well."

"Very funny," I mutter at her. Loper groans, I snort and kick him in the ribs. "You deserve worse, nasty f*cker!"

"Rift, I just went into a pretty dark place with you," Scenna states, her expression stony. "I don't believe it was right either."

"It's okay, Scenna," I assure her, although I don't know why I feel like doing that. "I didn't do anything that would damage him permanently, which is probably less than he deserves."

"Rift," Scenna says, she bites her lip and blinks back teary eyes.

What did I do now? Maybe she'll decide to arrest me too.

"Thanks, Rift," Scenna says, she casts her gaze to the ground, biting her lip and blinking back tears, but suddenly she throws her arms around me. "I needed this. To see some--some justice for me. Even if it's f*cked up and wrong."

"It's okay," I tell her, unsure of what to do. I put a hand on the top of her head. "Shh... come now, Captain, get a hold of yourself." I chuckle.

She sniffles and looks up at me, her eyes still glassy with tears. "You're a good guy."

I pat her head awkwardly. People don't just hug me. I'm not that kind of person.

"What do you want to do with him then?" I ask her as she lets go of me and steps back.

"I'm going to turn him in. Can I kick him?" Scenna asks.

"I'll just pretend I didn't see it," I say to her, putting a hand over my eyes.

Scenna shakes her. "No, I don't need to."

"How do you want to get him to a guardian outpost?"

"There's one not far from here," Scenna says thoughtfully. "We can drop him off there and then find the smugglers."

"You know, we really should take care of his pal, Dundin as well," I offer her. "Do you want to go back to Assassin's Den and make another arrest?"

"I think I've had enough of revenge for one night. I know where to find Dundin if I want him," Scenna says dryly. "Let's just drop Loper off at an outpost, and figure out how to make the smugglers take us to where they are dropping off the Cursed blood."

I shrug. "Fine with me. Let's go."

I grab Loper by the hand and drag him out of his tent.

"How are you--uh--doing that so easily?" Scenna asks me.

"I'm stronger than I look," I mutter. "I just Scourged the guy's life force out of him. It makes me stronger. Where to?"

"The outpost should be down this road, about a quarter mile away," Scenna says, pointing at the clearing where the road is.

"Let's go then," I say, pulling Loper after me. "I don't have my elefont and I don't want to drag his fat ass through the mud. Let's wake him up and use mind control."

"Doesn't bother me," Scenna mumbles.

"He said the smugglers worked with my mother," I say as I drag Loper down to the creek running by his tent.

"Yes," Scenna agrees, "Do you think they'll want to work with you? I'll need a change of clothes so they don't think I'm an Underlund captain."

"Worth a try," I say. I roll Loper into the water and he starts spluttering.

"I beg of you, please! Stop!" Loper whines.

"It's your lucky day. I didn't kill you." I walk down, wading into the creek to stand next to him. "Captain Scenna is going to take you to the guardian outpost to serve some much deserved time in prison," I growl at him. I lean down and force him to look into my eyes. "You'll go willingly and without a word. You'll treat Captain Scenna as if she's a goddess whom you're not worthy to look upon."