Chapter 28

"I still don't know what to call you," I say, because waiting for Father Ryland to notice my appearance while he shovels up orchids in the Sanctuary gardens has become boring.

He jumps, and since it's amusing I laugh at his expense.

"Rift!"

My laughter stops when he throws his arms around me.

"You're still alive!" Ryland exclaims.

Why do normal people like hugging each other so much? I shift uncomfortably and slap his shoulder back.

"I was afraid I'd never see you again, son," Father Ryland says, letting me go. "Tell me you've discovered a way to rid yourself of the Dark Lord without killing yourself?"

First I've heard of it if you have.

Keep listening, bitch, this is about to get good.

"I may know a way, but you're probably not going to like it," I say, smug the Dark Lord hasn't caught on to my thoughts.

"If it means you'll live--"

"Yeah, I'll live, but it may make things worse with the DL," I say.

You runt! How dare you refer to me as "DL"!

I will continue to now that I know it grates on you.

"Alright, tell me," Father Ryland says, sitting down on one of the stone benches in the garden.

"Can we give DL back his actual body?"

The way Ryland's eyes bug out of his skull tells me this idea is insanity and danger mingled into horror.

"Why would you think doing that would help anyone live?" Father Ryland asks.

Thanks for the support, Dad.

"The way I see it, I'll kill him again," I say thoughtfully, "for good. If he thinks my body is a worthy and powerful enough host for all of him, if he focused all this time and effort into making me so I could be a vessel powerful enough to rule Axus, then why wouldn't I be a worthy match for him embodied in his true form?"

I absolutely love this idea! You think you can beat me in my true form? I can't wait!

I've never heard him so excited. Put away the boner.

"First, have you gone mad?" Ryland answers after a moment of jaw dropped silence. "Second... are you insane?"

"You've just finally caught on to this?" I say, plucking one of the flowers off a Sanctuary shrub absentmindedly. "It's what happens when you're raised by a psycho bitch who beat you to near death to get you to use dark magic. Also, I literally have an evil voice in my head telling me what to do."

"Your humor is back, huh? Besides plotting to make Axus' greatest enemy more powerful, why are you so happy?" Ryland asks dryly.

"I saw Kyla," I admit. There is no sense in keeping it from him.

"Did she suggest this then?" Ryland cocks a sympathetic eyebrow.

"She's forgiven me," I mutter. "Although I don't deserve it."

Father Ryland shakes his head at me.

"But it motivated me to live and somehow get her away from all the pain this world gives her for just being what she is," I say with finality. "So I'm choosing life."

"Even if it will cost Axus it's life?" Father Ryland asks, his expression pained. I can tell he gets it, he just knows my idea is self-interested.

"What did Axus ever do for me anyway?" I snap, my eyes burning at the thought. All the horrible things they've said about Kyla is enough to make me not care if the Dark Lord ruins them. "What did it ever do for Kyla?"

"Rift," Ryland hisses between his teeth. "The Dark Lord is preying on these feelings in you."

"I don't care," I hiss back him. "I want freedom from all of this."

"Something else happened, other than Kyla forgiving you, only you're not telling me," Father Ryland narrows his eyes.

In my mind's eye I can see Kyla and I are more than just a doomed couple now, we're a doomed family. Raia and Ash, Kyla had said. I have a daughter and a son who will also be hated and ostracized by the same people here who hate and ostracize us.

"We are family," I finally say, my eyes meeting Father Ryland. "You denied that part of me was made from you for years, and now that you've met me you know I also have light magic as well as dark magic apart of my core."

"That same magic conflicts itself, the dark magic in you tries to kill you if you use those powers," Father Ryland points out.

"Maybe it's not the dark magic I possess, maybe it's the Dark Lord who does that," I say.

Father Ryland tents his hands and rests his chin on them. "You could be right."

"If that is the case I have all the elements inside me to destroy the Dark Lord in his true form. And you, Kyla, Wes, Kalvar... anyone who wants him gone, will help me."

Father Ryland regards me, cocking his head. "If I truly believe in the religion I follow I can believe in that impossibility. The Dark Lord is powerful, but he forgets that those who are righteous can call upon a higher power than even him. I choose to believe that you, my son, can do what you say, and I will help you achieve this."

You think the God of Light will be on your side? That the Lord of Light will protect you? I can't wait to show you how Axus has long been forgotten by your old deity. Light power is simply a relict of times past.

I'm about to show you what a big mistake you made in bringing about my creation. I told you I'd make you my bitch, and I can't wait to send you running with your tail between your legs back to the Shadow Realm.

"Come with me," Father Ryland says, getting up from his seat and nodding toward the Sanctuary. "I know of some old texts that could help us achieve this."

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride until you get me in my far superior body.

Oh, and, Rift, I can't wait to have your beautiful Cursed Princess, I'll finally be able to touch her beautiful skin with my own hands.

If you do, I have no doubt she'll burn them from your wrists.

I don't want him to get to me, but he chose the choice words that do. Still, if Corseth of eons ago destroyed the Dark Lord by simply being a Cursed of the Dark Lord's creation, he can't be a match for me...

I'll kill him as soon as he rises.