Chapter 34

Kyla

I wait in my room. Stupid Wes.

He doesn't even know how to use this damned thing.

What if I have to pee?

I can't even shift uncomfortably or scratch at the irritation of the metal against my neck.

Why is he making my sit on my bed and stare at a wall like a freaking lunatic?

Even though seeing Wes is the last thing I want after he turned into a coward on me, I begin to wish he'd show up so he can move me around.

All I have are my thoughts to pass the time. I can't find solace is drawing and painting as I had growing up in the palace when I was avoided with revulsion by the other little girls who were supposed to be my playmates.

How my poor mother had worried for me!

And then finally I'd met Helle, the little girl who wasn't afraid of me.

I miss her. And I hope Kal is taking care of her like he should...

The door to my room opens and I can't even turn my head to see who it is.

"Kyla, I'm sorry I had to do this, and I really didn't appreciate what Diana said," Wes' voice behind me stutters ashamedly. When I'm silent, he says, "You can talk you know."

"You weren't letting me before," I say stonily, but since I don't want to risk him muting me again and thus cutting off communication, I add, "you are better than this, Wes. You are a good man. I know you are. Just remove it and I'll pretend nothing happened. I lost the baby so I'm not a worry in the way you think I am."

"How can you forgive me for this?" Wes asks, his brow furrowed in grief. "If I take it off now you won't honor our agreement. Besides, Diana has found a way for us to be together, having you help me remove Bjorn from the picture."

"Is that truly her name?" I ask Wes. "She sounds like she comes from Earth. My mother's home."

"Bullshit," Wes snaps, his expression changes from pity for me to anger fast. "How dare you say that about her?"

"She was using Earth expressions, I grew up with an Earth mother and know," I say.

"Maybe you should shut up again," Wes mutters and he holds the key out at me.

"Wait, I'm sorry, I can tell you love her," I quickly say before he can put me back on mute. "Look, I can see we have a lot of trust issues going on here, but are you really going to marry someone you're mind controlling?" I have to plead to the parts of him that have a conscience, because I know they are many.

"You don't want me," Wes says coldly, "you've made that clear. Diana says she believe you want another. Who do you want?" The words are an order.

"Rift." I utter his name without wanting to.

Wes' brows raise. "You want the Dark Lord, after what he did to you?" Wes paces in front of me, his fists clenched. "What kind of sick person are you, Kyla?"

"Rift is my Mate, you wouldn't understand since you're not a Cursed, but he is the only person who makes my beast happy," I say, again not of my own will.

"But you said he raped you?!" Wes exclaims, his face livid. "Your beast wants him even after that?"

"There is an evil far greater than you know, and it's coming for us, all of us, Rift is merely it's host," I growl. "It takes over his mind from time to time. That's why--" I choke up, recalling when it happened. "Please, Wes, don't make me speak of this anymore."

"No, Kyla, there will be no more lies between us," Wes' expression is grave as he speaks. "I cannot endure anymore deceit. You said the baby is gone. Fine. That takes a wildcard out of the deck..." and as if on cue Wes notices the Queen Chaos card lying on my bed. He stomps over to it. "What does this mean?"

"It's from Rift," I say, hating myself for being unable to keep the secret. "A token of his love."

"So the Dark Lord loves you now?" Wes snorts out a laugh. "Strange, I didn't realize a freak like that made of pure darkness could ever taste such a pure emotion."

"Maybe it is you who cannot fathom what love is," I hiss. "You are too afraid of life. See how you've collared me? You like things to be safe and presentable, proper and planned, but love is neither of those things. It's wild, messy, and despite that, trusting."

"How dare you? I love Diana!" Wes shouts at me. His raised voice is so unlike him. "We have a normal human love. You and this Rift... you will never know anything like that. I didn't want to believe it, but now that I know the truth; that you are in league with the Dark Lord all this time and playing me for a fool, I don't feel bad anymore. In fact, I'm glad I collared you."

I hate him. How can he say such things to me?

"Still, what will your dark mage think when I use your beast to kill him?" Wes asks. "And finally rid Axus of his evil? I cannot wait to see the look in your beast's eyes as it dispatches of its 'mate'." He says that last word mockingly, and anger courses hot blood through my veins. My beast roars at him from her cage.

"I believe you toy with things you have no comprehension of," I answer truthfully, a shiver going up my spine at the thought of trying to kill Rift against my will.

Please, don't let it be possible that I can kill Rift.

"Now, I need you to listen carefully, I have it on good authority from Diana that her husband, Bjorn, and my father Lionel, are going to try to declare war with Underland by issuing a surprise attack. I don't want that. I want Underland to believe me at peace with them since the Dark Lord feeds off of war."

Wes continues, "what I need you to extinguish my father's Fire blood army. It will not be easy since they are immune to Cursed fire, your greatest weapon, yet, it doesn't mean they can't be killed in small groups by your power alone. And since my beloved Diana has an insider's ear on everything going on with the Fire Blood army, I can use you to take them out. One by one."

"You want me to murder for you? Defenseless pawns who are only in an army they've been raised to fight in?" I snap.

"All for the greater good, Kyla, I'm sure you at least can understand that," Wes says, shaking his head at me as if I'm pathetic. "Tonight, we will kill five at a time. They go out to train in the mountains in fives. That's an easy number for you, isn't it?"

"Yes," I answer without batting an eye. It must be true, but I've never given much thought to the matter before this so it surprises me.

Wes grins, so confident, so ready to leave me to kill for him.

"All this bloodshed without getting your hands dirty... your father is right about you, Wes, you truly are a coward," I manage to say before he shuts me up again.