Chapter 15

"Kyla, I didn't think you'd recognize me," Rift says through the door, his voice apologetic.

"I told you I never wanted to see you again," I hiss, while straining myself to maintain my human form and keep myself from sobbing a fountain of tears.

"Kyla, I'm not here to upset you," Rift's voice, the tone like the Rift I remember. Not the Dark Rift. But it's impossible to differentiate the two of them right now. "I--I needed to see you again. I'm sorry. I know what you let Wes do to you, because of what I did. I'm here to tell you I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?" I growl, in a beast voice. "Get out of here before you make things worse! You think I'm an idiot. You showing up and believing I wouldn't recognize you. I'd recognize you anywhere, even with that fake enchantment of a face."

"I'm not going anywhere until I know you're okay," Rift answers softly.

"I'm never going to be okay because of you!" I shout, and then I groan in pain as the bones in my hand begin manipulating themselves into claws.

"Kyla!" The door opens by itself and Rift rushes in with a concerned expression on his face.

I curse myself for gazing on him. He has his real face now and my heart shatters at the sight.

"You just can't stay away from me, can you? You can't just let me be miserable on my own, can you?" I snap at him, glaring ferociously, and I raise a fist and bring it down against his sturdy chest.

"You'll never have to see me after this, Kyla, I promise. I won't darken your life ever again, but I couldn't leave things like the last time we saw each other. I wanted to see you once more. To let you know that I'm sorry about what the Dark Lord did--what I did, and that I'm going to do whatever it take to destroy the Dark Lord." Rift can't even look me in the eye, there is guilt and anguish written all over his features, and I'm angry with myself for noticing it.

"You shouldn't have bothered coming. You hurt me so bad," I cry. "I just want to forget what happened between us!"

Rift's brow furrows, his shoulders slump in defeat, and his eyes get glassy until one pools over sending a tear streaking down his face. I've never seen a dark mage so torn apart. "I know, Kyla," he says softly, without looking at me. "It ruined me too."

"I don't even know what to think, Rift," I try not to burst into tears.

It really is Rift though. Not the Dark Rift, just Rift and he's standing here apologizing to me. His wavy auburn hair the same, his intoxicating amber eyes filled with shame, and his sensual mouth lacking the usual amused smile I adore.

"It is you then," I say, my heart beats tentatively, as if he will vanish at any second. "And you think this will make us okay? You think I'll just fling myself at you and we'll kiss and be how we were?"

What is wrong with me? How can I still want Rift after what the Dark Lord did through him?

Rift opens his mouth to respond to the venom I threw his way, but my mouth covers his.

The warmth of his responding lips in this cold place is enough to send me into a frenzy of passion. I can't keep my hands to myself. My fingers splay out the collar of his shirt, unbuttoning it until his chest is bared.

My beast quiets completely. The threat of transformation disappears as I kiss all over Rift's face, and down his neck.

"Kyla, what are you doing? Are you sure you want to do this after what--?" Rift's voice is hoarse, and his eyes are frightfully lit up with a primal sexual energy that usually paired with pleasurable, wonderful things in the past.