CHAPTER 22: SHADES OF BLUE

Chapter 22: Shades of Blue

I found myself walking on the park near the shore with Gray. Hindi man lamang ako nagkaroon ng pagkakataon na magbihis. After I left my books in the dorm, I immediately ran back to where I left him. I don't know why pero natatakot ako na baka kapag matagal akong bumaba, he might get bored and leave. Pagbaba ko ay naroon pa rin siya, only that he was delighted to see me. Hindi na siya nagtaka kung bakit hindi pa rin ako nagbibihis. I was never curious of how I look or smell too. Sigurado din naman ako na hindi ako amoy pawis mula sa buong araw na paggala.

"It's been a while since we had long conversations like this", panimula niya. We came here by his car and I think curfew time is almost on but I don't care.

"Yeah." Yep, mula ng araw na iyon. I don't really need much sympathy for me but it hurts to know that he doesn't understand me that time. But as they said, let bygones be bygones but they have to deal with its after effect.

"Where did Jeremy bring you?" his voice was a little cracked. Maybe because of the coldness of the night. Dagdag pa na may baybayin sa gilid.

"Sa mall", I replied. I don't want to tell him about the cast that we encountered. I'm sure as hell that I don't want to spend the night talking about the case that Jeremy and I worked together with Detective Adler and his minion. "B-by the way, belated happy birthday. How was your day?" I want to say 'how was your day with Math' ngunit hindi ko nagawang sabihin. I will sound like a terribly jealous girlfriend if I do.

"Just fine", sagot niya. "Mom and Dad wanted to throw a big party but I am not the one who enjoy stuff like those so we go out instead."

"With Math?" Uh! Did I really say it?! Meh! It just slipped out of my mouth. I was not planning to ask it and - uh. Whatever.

Tumawa siya ng malakas. "You really think I was with her? That was a bluff. She only called me on the phone", sagot niya and when he looked at me, I saw his face frowning. "You didn't greet me yesterday. Not even a single text."

Bakit parang nahihimigan ko ang pagtatampo sa boses niya? Or maybe I was just imagining things. I didn't greet him on his birthday, I'm sure it will let him live. Yeah, it's not like it's the end of the world. Hindi niya ikakamatay kung hindi ko siya nabati kahapon.

"You will survive", I said jokingly.

"Seryoso ako Amber. I stayed awake until the last minute of my birthday but I never receive a greeting from you." Seryoso nga ang tono nito kaya napatigil ako sa paglalakad at napatingin sa kanya.

"I lost my phone and just received one this morning."

"Your phone is not the only way to greet me, you know. You went to see Alonzo on his birthday, why didn't you-" he stopped and from the light, I can see how his ears turned red as well as his face. It's not always that you see a guy blushing all the way. As of Gray, he looks so cute. Agad siyang nag-iwas ng tingin sa akin. "Argh! Just forget it."

I tried my very best to hide my smile. "Don't worry. I prepared a gift for you."

Sumigla ang mukha at agad napangiti. "Nasaan?"

"I didn't bring it, nakalimutan ko. Maybe tomorrow."

"What did you give Alonzo on his birthday? Mukhang tuwang-tuwa ang loko kahit puro siya pasa."

Naramdaman ko ang panginginit ng pisngi ko. Shit! Khael didn't tell anyone that I kissed him, right?! "Don't mind him! Ang regalo ko na lang sayo ang isipin mo!"