Chapter Six

Sorry for the late update but I hope this makes up for it :) This book has officially reached 1 thousand reads!!!! Thank you so much!!!

***

"You only fail when you stop trying."

- Unknown

***

Thea  

Death is the last thing on my list right now. For the first time in my life I have something in my life I need to live for. I need to live so I can make sure all the people whose lives were taken from me are avenged.

My mother.

Jake.

Grandpa.

Caleb.

All these people deserve to have someone fight for them. They deserve to not be forgotten but remembered so I fought. I fought against the need to give up and just let go. Fighting against the darkness that is consuming me I try to resurface to the living. Light fill my vision and my lungs seem to work again as I gasp for air. Pulling my body up I try to calm down my beating heart and heavy breathing. My hands clutch the soft warm sheet that is wrapped around me and pull it closer.

I didn't care where the hell I am, I am just too damn happy to be sleeping in a warm soft bed to care. Those 'beds' in prison are hard as rock and I think I might have serious lifelong back problems from it.

Slowly my eyes start to wander around the room and notice that it's pretty small and plain. There is only a small bed that is pushed against the wall and a dresser near the bed. By the bed there is a window, curious I crawl towards the window and open the curtains. My eyes almost fill with tears as I take the scene in front of me.

I am way up in the sky and I could see snow falling softly to the ground. The small white crystals seemed to be dancing around the cold air and landing on the small humans that walk through the busy streets. Everyone seems happy and I can tell everyone is in the holiday spirit.

Jake loved snow.

He also liked Christmas.

He was one of those people that still believed in Santa even after they were twenty. A small smile appears on my face as I think about my brother during the holidays but my smile slowly starts disappearing.

"YOU'RE NOT MY CHILD! YOU'RE NOT MY BLOOD AND YOU NEVER WERE!"

His cold voice still rings through my head like it happened yesterday.

If he was telling the truth then was Jake truly my brother?

I never want to think that the only person I held so dear to me isn't mine but that is one of the many things I need to clear up. I find it hard to believe that my sweet mother was a cheater but until I find out more she will always remain a loving mother to me. Once I find the Tech I will make sure it's destroyed once and for all, it can never fall in the wrong hands.

However, there is an ocean filled with questions that must be answered. I still don't know if Black got the last clue and already found the Tech. For the past year I have not heard a single word about the boys which worries me since they basically turned into a family over the three months I have known them. I wonder if Raph got married to Charlie yet and about Caleb's funeral. I miss Leo's childish behavior and Asher... he would be on my mind the most. Every night I will sleep thinking about him and wake up feeling the kiss we shared on my lips. This kind of obsession isn't healthy especially since he told me it was a mistake but it always stayed there and grew instead of dying away.

"Penny for your thoughts."

A familiar voice broke my thoughts away from Asher and made me turn my body towards the man that made me jump into an ocean.

"It's a pretty view isn't it?"

I stare at him and try to calculate his intentions, it is something I picked up at the prison. Zeke is leaning against the dresser relaxed with his arms crossed in front of his chest. He is staring into the window with great concentration, then his silver eyes meet mine. It's like he is trying to read my soul from the way he is staring so deeply into my eyes. Then he broke into a wide grin.

"You hungry?" He asks.

I look at him with a cold stare but my stomach growling ruined the intimidating look I am going for. Zeke just chuckled and walks out of the room. Slowly I follow him out of the room and enter a small living room with a kitchen next to it. A table filled with fast food is situated right next to the kitchen. Zeke spreads his arms giving great importance to the food.

"I don't know about you but I fucking missed my junk food."

He starts eating a breakfast sandwich from McDonald's as I watch him. I still don't know if I should trust him. I have learned the hard way that even your closest friends can be your enemies.

Zeke seems to notice me still standing there looking at him. He stops eating and startes at me.

"Thea Woods a 21 year old journalist who is the murder of her own brother, boss, colleague, and possibly the thief of the Mona Lisa."

My eyes widen in surprise as his mouth spells those words.

"How the hell do you know that?!"

"I do my research Shorty but I also know that the internet is basically a big knock off so I actually don't believe a single word they say."

"I actually did steal the Mona Lisa," I mutter.

He chuckles at my response. "I know that you're uncomfortable around a stranger you know nothing about and that person could possibly be a killer."

"Spot on," I say as I sit down across from him and eat a hash brown.

"Well to let it out there I am not a murder. Never liked that business it is too messy for me. I am basically a thief since I was five and I have a terrible name in every country I go to. The last thing I tried stealing was the Hope Diamond that was owned by King Louis the fourteenth. Let's just say I was an idiot and didn't check to see if the diamond had a tracking device on it. I got caught and was sent to the prison."

I really didn't know if I should believe him or not. Apart of me wanted to but the other part didn't. No one could be trusted. Everyone has a face their trying to hide with masks and this could be one of his masks.

Zeke raises his arm up in defeat. "I know that you will not trust me. I honestly don't trust you so let's just agree that we need to stick together until we figure out a plan so the officials won't be on our asses again."

I think over what he just said. My best bet in staying away from prison is if I have someone in the same situation as me. Zeke won't go behind my back because if he does I can easily rat him out.

"Agreed," I say.

"Glad to hear that Shorty. Our first step will be to break into the building with all our records in. We need to make sure our name is swept clean from their data base so they have nothing to go by."

I nod in agreement. I didn't commit those murders but everyone seems hell bent on assuming I did. If I want to accomplish my goals then I need the police off my back, even if I did nothing wrong. Breaking into a federal building and destroying information could very well make me a criminal. Sadly I have no choice, it seems like nothing in my life is a choice. However, I need to find the Tech, the boys, and learn more about my past even it means sacrificing a few things.

"When do we start?" I ask. 

****

How do you guys like the story so far? Based on the comments many people like Zeke and I am actually proud that you guys like him. Believe it or not writing about Zeke is actually pretty hard. 

Anyways do you guys think it's a good idea to do a spin off after the third book or no? Would anyone read it? 

Thanks for reading! Please vote, comment, and share :)