Chapter Eight

***

  "A thousand times we die in one life. We crumble, break and tear apart until the illusions are burned away and all that is left, is the truth of who and what we really are." 

– Teal Scott   

***

Thea

The necklace feels like ice against my already cold hands as I run it against my fingers. Since Zeke's apartment doesn't have a fireplace I am leaning against the kitchen stove trying to bring heat to my body. Right after the mini bomb in the federal building it started snowing like there's no tomorrow. The connection line with Zeke started breaking up so I was basically all on my own in getting my ass through Cannes.

"Will you look at that, I found my thief."

I look up at Zeke. He is leaning against the wall shirtless with shorts hanging off his waist. His blonde hair is dripping wet from his shower but what really caught my attention is his tattoo that is peeking from his back. In all honestly he looks like a model with his six pack abs and toned muscles.

"Take a picture it last longer," Zeke said smirking.

I smile sweetly at him. "You know your right I should take one. It will make a great picture for beware of dog sign."

"Oh come on you were literally eye raping me."

"In your dreams Archer."

"Don't know about my dreams but I am pretty sure I am in yours."

Rolling my eyes I turn off the stove and head to the living room to sit on the couch. Zeke followed behind me and sat on the recliner.

"But seriously though stop stealing my clothes."

"If you haven't noticed I don't have any."

"I don't mind you not wearing any."

I give him my deadliest glare. God he was so much like Leo.

"You don't have to deal with it anyways I am leaving tomorrow."

He looks up at me and raises his eyebrows. "You're leaving?"

I nod my head. "There is no reason to stay. We got rid of the files and the agreement is that we go our separate ways."

"I would say I am going to miss you but I really hate lying."

I scoff. "You're a thief all you do is lie."

"You're a murder all you do is kill," he shot back.

Ouch. Even though is words hurt me I still kept a neutral expression.

"Everyone has demons Zeke, it doesn't matter how good they are. Some people just chose to hide it and others don't."

Having enough of this conversation I get up and go into my room. Closing the door I lean back against it.

I am not a murder.

I am not sure if I am reassuring him or myself.

***

The sun breaks through the room making my eyes open. Snow that was covering the window start to melt away causing water to dripple down. I pull myself up and bring the comfort of the blanket around and try to take in the warmth that I will probably not have for the next few months. Getting up I start getting ready.

I pack a backpack with food, money, an extra hoodie, and a phone all that I stole from Zeke. Quietly I make my way through the front door and put my hand on the knob. Something is pulling me back from leaving and I didn't know what.

Letting out a breath I went back into the kitchen and write down a note for Zeke.

I would thank you for the wonderful stay but then again I hate lying :)

Feeling like that sums up everything I stick it on the fridge and pick up my backpack. Again I place my hand on the door knob and twist it making it squeak open. I cringe as the noise rings through the apartment but I quickly shut the door behind me. I jog down the stairs and exit the apartment complex. There is still ice and snow on the ground making my pace slow down. I honestly have no idea where I am going.

My plan is to find the train station so I can get a ticket to Paris from there I would catch a train to Brussels Railway Station which is the only train that goes to London. However I have three things in my way. The first being that I don't have money to afford all that, second is that I don't have a passport and third I have no fucking idea where the hell the station was.

I feel like throwing something from frustration. Maybe it's a stupid idea not asking Zeke for help. Slowly as time went by people start emerging from their homes and driving to places. More people walk through the streets of Cannes as walk like I knew what I am doing.

When I first stepped out of the apartment a small knot started forming inside my stomach like something bad is going to happen. As time went by the knot started to tighten every second.

Maybe I should just go back and come up with a better plan but then I would never hear the end of it from Zeke. Getting over my ego I get up from the park bench and start walking back. I just have to suck it up I guess.

As soon as I start walking I feel like someone is following me. Maybe I am paranoid since I haven't been out in the world for a year but I still feel nervous.

I walk past a small window and see the reflection of two guys following me. They had on black ironically like all my other kidnappers but these men had tattoos on them that seems to be like numbers

Are they Black's men?

Walker's?

Did my brother have another gang he owned money too? I clutch the necklace around my hands as a since of comfort.

What should I do?

Movies especially horror movies teach you a lot of things in life about these kinds of situations. All this shit I am in I could have avoided if I hadn't went to the source of the goddamn scream. Thinking I would learn from my mistake I don't. This is a perfect example that my mind is completely messed up. Instead of staying calm I do the opposite and start running like I am on fire. Of course the men noticed and now I am playing Tom and Jerry with my stalkers.

I jump over tables near café and bump into random pissed out people that were in the way. My heart is pounding in my chest and my breathing is becoming heavy as I ran. Not looking where I am going I trip over a crack in the sidewalk.

My hands go forward as I try to catch myself but end up rolling over to the street. Grunting I pull myself up and rub the cut hands. Then my eyes widen as the red light turns green accessing cars to start racing towards me. I push myself out of the swarm of cars that speed past me but I am still close enough to the road to feel the wind push against my back.

Feeling slightly dizzy I try to keep my head still, slowly I start to stand up but still hold my head. A horn starts blaring through the already noisy streets but I paid no mind to it. The horn starts getting nearer and nearer until it feels like it is just a few feet from me. Turning around slightly my eyes widen at what is coming straight towards me.

Death is driving on full speed in my direction. 

***

Dun dun dunnnnnnn

These two chapters aren't very eventful but I promise we are getting there :) Also based on the positive comments I will be making a spin off to this book after the third book. 

Anyways hoped you liked the double update and please vote, comment, and share. 

(Next chapter will be in a different POV, see if you can guess who.)