Chapter 7- The First Case

Isabel rubbed her arm, which had been torn up when she was running. The redhead had bandaged it up, feeling bad about what had happened. There was a stretch of trees near where the two girls were staying, and they had decided to play hide-and-go-seek in those trees. Isabel had been going to hide when her arm had been torn up by some of the tree branches. Isabel felt that it was odd that only the one arm had been hurt, but she was glad that it hadn't been the other. It was the arm she didn't write with, which was good because today's assignment was to write a short paragraph describing her powers. She didn't want to describe how she was able to create monsters. Would she lie about it, and say that she couldn't? Would she only say that she could see inside their minds? The redhead, on the other hand, had already written her paragraph, which described each power she had that made up her large power. Black magic.

The redhead didn't always like having black magic, but it proved useful sometimes. Isabel had found it useful because part of black magic was bringing monsters to the redhead, and Isabel was able to practice the power of seeing inside their minds. That, and she could resemble the monsters she created after the ones her friend brought. She usually didn't create monsters. Only when it was absolutely necessary. As soon as her arm was bandaged, Isabel sighed and sat down to write her paragraph. Her friend sat beside her, watching as she wrote, which would usually set Isabel on edge, but today, did nothing. Finally, Isabel finished her paragraph, a measly five sentences, and her friend had something to say.

"You didn't say anything about being able to create monsters. Why not?" the redhead asked.

"Because if I did, ye know that they wouldn't want to work with me. Who wants to train the girl that can create monsters?" Isabel answered.

"If they'll work with the girl that has black magic, they'll work with the girl that can create monsters. Besides, being able to create them means you can control them. Put that in there. They are going to find out either way, so you might as well just put it in there," her friend reasoned, and Isabel groaned, adding three small sentences about being able to create monsters.

"Is that better?" Isabel asked, and her friend smiled and nodded, causing Isabel to roll her eyes. Sometimes her friend made her want to laugh. Isabel put her paragraph with her friend's, making sure that they didn't lose either of them. When her friend went to sleep, Isabel stayed up, her insecurities catching up to her. What if they didn't want to work with her? What if they sent her back to Circia? Isabel's friend would never stay here without her, and Isabel knew she could not let that happen. She had promised herself that they weren't going back to Circia. Julie's life depended on her keeping that promise.

******************************

Ciara knew she was rubbing her arm way too much, and that it would attract attention, but whatever adhesive was on the bandage she was using was irritating her skin. She didn't think that the bandage she had used was any different than what she had used in Omaha, but apparently, it was. She met Reid early that morning, who had given her a briefing on what was probably going to happen that day. He was supposed to do it the day before, but they had gotten distracted by the bet that Ciara wouldn't be able to know every element that was on the table. He had nearly gotten her with Element 119, but then she remembered that Element 119 was only a hypothetical element. They hadn't actually discovered that it truly existed yet. However, she did get that ten dollars that he had bet with.

"Are you okay? You keep rubbing your arms," Reid asked, and she nodded, keeping her eyes down. Stupid trees. How had they gotten into her hotel room? That, and she was confused when she woke up. The glass shard she had brought with her had been covered in dried blood, but she didn't remember bringing it out of her bag.