Chapter 8- Useless Languages

Isabel and her friend sat in the room that lacked a door and windows. Isabel knew that as soon as they had figured out what they were supposed to do, the room would open up and they'd be able to escape. But first, they had to figure out what they were doing. Suddenly, a notebook appeared, and Isabel knew what she had to do. They were to fight the monster that she was to create, but she didn't want to. She hated creating monsters, but she knew her friend could take it down. She sighed and grabbed the pen that appeared with the notebook, and as soon as she put the pen on the paper, an outline of a monster began to form in the real world. This was how she created monsters. She placed the pen on the paper, and her thoughts created them. She hoped maybe one day she could bypass the paper and pen altogether.

"Woah, Isabel, stop, stop! I don't think I can do this!" Isabel opened her eyes and looked at the monster before her. How had she thought this beast up? She looked into the monster's blood red eyes before her eyes traveled to the many tentacles that all ended with clubs and spikes and all sorts of terrible weapons. Its teeth were like daggers and they were dripping in blood as if it had just finished devouring its last meal. It was long and spindly, and utterly terrifying.

"How did I...?" Isabel began to wonder, but her thought was cut off when the monster lunged at them, both girls barely avoiding one of its clubs.

"It doesn't matter how you did it! Just get inside that thing's mind! Tell me what to do!" her friend instructed, and Isabel nodded, closing her eyes, seeing inside the blackness of the monster's mind. It really had no thoughts, except to attack the two girls. Next time she was going to see if she could create monsters with a specific purpose. For now, she saw that the monster was going to turn its back on her friend, going to attack Isabel with its spikes.

"Hit the back of its head with fire as soon as it turns its back to ye!" Isabel commanded, and when the plan went off without a hitch, the monster roared, and while Isabel saw one thing, what ended up happening was something completely different. That was the bad thing. Isabel might be able to see into their minds, but that doesn't mean that what's going on inside of their mind was what was actually going to happen. The monster wrapped one of the tentacles with short spikes around Isabel's arm, the spikes digging into the flesh. It was the opposite arm, so now both of her arms were injured and would be bandaged.

"Isabel!" her friend cried, and shot two straight fireballs at the monster. One hit its face, the other hit Isabel's arm, the one that already was bandaged. The monster screamed when the one fireball hit its face, and Isabel managed to break one of the spikes off of its arm, and when the monster let go of Isabel, she put the spike in its heart. She continued to fall as the monster let out a dying scream, and the last thing she heard before she hit the ground was her friend screaming her name.

****************************

Ciara rubbed her eyes, exhausted after her nightmare had left her unable to go back to sleep. Who could after seeing a monster like the one that had been created in that dream? She yawned as she looked at the small marker board where they had pinned up everything they knew. There was no one else there, and she had one moment of thinking about this case without anybody else there. She could talk to herself without having to watch what she said. Without having to worry about revealing her lack of empathy. She had a bandage on the other arm now, but she didn't remember where it had come from. All she remembered from last night was realizing how the girls died, and then Reid leaving. She didn't remember what happened after that. Then she decided to sneak away from the hotel and get a little alone time. Would she get in trouble if Hotch found out that she was doing something on her own? Maybe someone else would get there before he did. She thought about everything that happened yesterday. She had watched the team give their profile but hadn't participated. She wasn't going to speak in front of that many people.