Chapter 53- The Fountain, Part Two

She was already down the hall and running down the stairs, and she had no intention of stopping.

"So, what do you think about-?"

"I already know what you're going to ask, and we are not going to discuss the case or anything related to work. Not right now." Morgan smiled and shook his head in amusement, looking across the small table to where Akilah was sitting. Just thirty minutes before, she had texted him asking if he wanted to go and get dinner. Now, at first, he wasn't sure if that was a good idea, as the chance of getting caught by the team was pretty high. But Akilah was a daredevil- and a stubborn daredevil, at that- and had insisted they do something.

But despite her stubbornness, she was also remarkably open and willing to compromise. And after five minutes, they had come up with a plan that satisfied them both. Akilah had agreed to drive to Rawlins- about ten minutes away- and grab them something quick (Taco Bell had ended up being the winner) and then they would just hang out in one of their rooms. At first, it had seemed Akilah's was going to be the winner, but Akilah didn't want to make Ciara feel like a third wheel and didn't want to kick her out of the room, even though they both knew that Ciara would absolutely voluntarily leave to give them privacy.

On the other hand, Morgan was rooming with Reid, who didn't know about him and Akilah's relationship, and hopefully wouldn't for a while longer. But, by some amazing coincidence, just as Akilah was driving back, Reid had left, saying he needed to talk to Ciara about something and hopefully wouldn't be back for a bit.

Three cheers for Reid unknowingly making our lives easier, Morgan thought to himself, focusing again on Akilah, who was busy unwrapping whatever she had gotten from Taco Bell. Her brow was slightly furrowed, and he could tell that she was thinking hard about something. What that something was, he wasn't sure, but he could ask her about that later. Right now, he was more concerned with the thoughts running through his head.

It had only been a month since they had started going out, but he knew that his feelings for Akilah had grown so much in that month. Now, they hadn't really made anything official, but he knew he had to ask her soon. After all, whether he liked it or not, he was falling in love with her, and fast. How could he not, when he loved everything about her? Her intelligence, her willingness to stand up for what she believed in, her kindness, her "take-no-shit" attitude, that scar under her eye, her smile- right down to the way her brow furrowed when she was lost in thought.

That wasn't to say she was without any flaws. She was as stubborn as they came, she often tried to do everything by herself even when it would just be easier to get help, and she had a hard time controlling her temper sometimes. But the thing was, he loved those flaws. They were just a part of who she was. That, and every time they were close, he felt his heart start pounding, and every time they kissed, he swore he could fly.

"So, are we still on for Friday night?" Akilah asked, breaking him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah, why wouldn't we be?" he asked back, and Akilah shrugged, taking a bite out of her food.

"I don't know, I guess I wasn't sure if this counted as our weekly date night or not."

"Well, I'm not counting it. That way I can do this with you again on Friday," Morgan responded, and Akilah smiled. "Although hopefully on Friday we can pick a more romantic setting."

"What are you talking about? This is romantic!"

"Eating Taco Bell in a hotel room with a picture of a candle pulled up on your phone is not my idea of romantic."

"You're so picky," Akilah muttered, and Morgan raised his eyebrow. When she caught his gaze, she broke out into a wide smile, before laughing. "But seriously, Morgan, romance isn't about the setting you're in, it's about the person you're with. A fancy restaurant means nothing if you don't love- or even like- the person you're with."