Chapter 48- His Girl

Isabel sat on the ground, watching the fountain as it did its watery dance. She needed to be alone for a little bit after an argument with one of her teammates. He had tried to see through her mask, he had tried to see into her... but he didn't understand why she couldn't let him do that. Even if she could, she didn't want him to. She didn't want anyone to see her. They wouldn't understand. She felt a presence next to her, and she turned to see her redheaded friend sitting next to her.

"Well, well, well, it's been a while. Where have ye been?" Isabel asked, and the other woman shrugged.

"Well, heh... that doesn't really matter, now does it?"

"Ye've been hunting Julie again, haven't ye?"

"Yeah."

"Damn it, woman. I took us out of Circia so that ye wouldn't do that. And now ye've gone back?" Isabel asked, and her friend shrugged again.

"I can sense that you have bigger problems at hand. What's going on inside your mind, Isabel?" she asked, and Isabel sighed.

"Everything. It's like, in my mind, worlds are colliding, and oceans are dividing. Something inside me is gone, but I don't know how to get it back, or if I can. But until I figure it out, I just gotta keep going on," Isabel answered, staring at the fountain. For a split second, she wondered if it was deep enough to drown her, or maybe at least wash away the conflict she was feeling.

"Well, maybe if you actually let yourself trust the people around you, you'd find that piece of you returning," her friend said, and it was then Isabel's turn to shrug.

"I don't trust anyone. There's no one I can trust, just like there is nowhere I belong. The world is a rough place without a conscience, so ye know what I do? I just shut it out, and I stay anonymous," Isabel explained, and her friend looked at her, concern in her eyes.

"Isn't that... I don't know, really lonely?"

"Yeah, it is. But it's better that way. It's safer to be lonely. Ye can't get hurt that way."

********************

He waited outside, knowing he had to wait for the perfect moment to strike. If he struck too early, or too late, someone in the house could wake up and call the cops, ruining his plans. The house he was stalking was out in the country, so even if they called the cops, it would take a few minutes for them to show up. He was less worried about them ruining the execution of his plan and more worried about them ruining his getaway. No, he couldn't have that.

From where his car was parked, he could see the T.V. through the window. The Brother liked to sleep on the couch instead of in his bedroom and would keep the T.V. on as background noise until he fell asleep. He knew that once the screen turned blue because of inactivity, everyone would be asleep. That was when he needed to strike. That was when he could do what he had come to this horrible house to do.

He was going to save his girl.

Finally, he saw the images on the screen suddenly turn to blue, and he knew that it was time. Excitement hummed in his veins as he silently crept out of his car, grabbing the knife and the jar he had kept on the passenger seat. The contents of the jar swished slightly as he walked with it, but there was no one around to hear it, so he didn't mind. It reminded him of what he came to do. Every single day they would call his girl ugly, so he was going to show them what ugly really was. Not that they would be alive to know, but he wondered if their spirits would know.

He tried the door, and just like every other house in the countryside, it was unlocked. Nobody kept their doors locked around here. Their mistake, in his opinion. They didn't think there was a reason to lock their doors at night. He was going to prove them wrong. But while it was a mistake, he didn't mind it. It made it so much easier to pull his plan off. He silently slipped inside and looked over to where the T.V.'s blue glow illuminated the sleeping body of his first victim.