Chapter 18- Preliminary

Isabel looked at the map, at the pattern that her criminal had been making. Where would he strike next? Who might be his next victim? One of her new teammates stood beside her, trying to figure out the same thing as her. She felt slightly uncomfortable with him around, as she really just wanted to figure this out by herself. However, this was supposed to be his job, and he had just invited her to help, not to take over. Isabel looked again at the pattern and glared at it when it started mocking her. She thought some more about the pattern and did realize something. She needed to tell the team. The main detective they were working with returned, coincidentally with the other members of her team. Perfect time for her to show that she did know a thing or two. And, despite what Frank had said, up to that moment, she had no impulses, and no one new had shown up in her mind. At this moment, everything was alright.

************************

Morgan looked around the busy park, Rossi by his side. With how many people were here, someone should have seen the Unsub take Debby Baines. Someone also should have noticed a five-year-old being separated from her aunt. Surely the niece would have been distressed? Maybe she would have even started crying. How did no one see any of this? Morgan and Rossi joined other LAPD agents at Debby's car, which hadn't been moved since her abduction. From there, they went through what they knew, which wasn't much. From where they were, Morgan could see the swing set where Patricia Baines was found playing by herself.

"Was Patricia distressed when you found her? Did she seem upset?" Morgan asked, and the officers shook their heads.

"No, she was calm and happy. She said that her aunt had left with a man, and the man had given her a paper to give to us. She then gave us the merry-go-round drawing," one of the officers responded.

"Why would a child that young be perfectly okay with someone taking her aunt like that?" Rossi asked, and then it clicked for Morgan.

"Maybe because the Unsub didn't force Debby in any way. Maybe she did go with him willingly," Morgan realized.

"So you think she knew the Unsub?" an officer asked.

"Not necessarily. Think, what would make Debby want to leave with a stranger willingly?" Morgan asked, and Rossi caught on.

"Patricia," Rossi said, and in his mind, Morgan was able to imagine the scene. A stranger with a blurred face approaching Debby and little Patricia, who were chatting excitedly about what they were going to do that day. He walked past them, but as he did, Debby felt a chill, as if something was not right about who had just passed them, but she shrugged it off. Debby looked away from her niece for one moment, looking through her bag to make sure that she had her emergency inhaler. She looked up again, seeing Patricia bouncing in place, excited to get to the park. Morgan traveled the same path he imagined the duo making, towards the swing set where Patricia was found.

"He might have waited until they were here, just to make sure that Patricia was in a place where he could tell her to stay put and she wouldn't get bored. Then he threatened her, gaining Debby's cooperation," Morgan reasoned, looking at the swings.

"But how did he threaten her without anyone noticing?" another officer asked, and Morgan went back to the scene in his mind. As soon as Debby and Patricia got close to the swings, the little girl ran to them, wanting to play on them. Debby laughed and ran after her, not thinking at the moment what it would do to her. As soon as she got to the swings, she broke down with an asthma attack. Gasping, she pulled out her emergency inhaler, shaking it and using it. After she could breathe again, she stood up, and upon looking up, she saw the stranger from before pushing Patricia on the swings, the little girl squealing happily when he pushed her higher and higher. Debby wanted to scream for help, but he told her to stay quiet, or he would hurt the little girl. Debby shut her mouth, and he told her what he wanted her to do. She was going to walk to his vehicle with him silently, and if she made a noise, he'd hurt Patricia. She nodded, watching the little girl to make sure he didn't hurt her. He slowly and safely stopped the swing, and whispered something in Patricia's ear, before handing her a piece of paper. He then took Debby's wrist and walked to his car with her. She walked with him for fear of what might happen to Patricia if she didn't.