Chapter 23.

Safia’s POV

It was strange how it happened. It was the Sunday, four weeks after our wedding. Yusuf came to my mum’s house with me because I was desperate to see Zidan. He had turned a year old. Aisha usually came around on the weekends so I barely got to see my lovely little nephews and niece.

It was that moment when I saw how easily Yusuf fit into my family. He sat with me comfortably, like he belonged there. He smiled and laughed with everyone. Hamza came and greeted him.

“Asalamu’alaykum. What brings you here?” He asked.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam. I’m here to return Safia. I’ve had enough of her.” Yusuf said grinning at me sheepishly. It was precisely then that I felt it; after I let out that giggle, and his elbow grazed my arm as he shuffled in his seat getting comfortable. I loved him. It had happened. I loved how he was so easy around me, how he made me feel special, how he looked at me. It cleared any doubts in my mind and I knew I had fallen in love with him. An overwhelming emotion took over. I wanted to fall on the ground and cry of joy thanking Allah for what I was blessed with. I loved my husband! I had a sudden urge to yell it out. I needed to tell someone.

“I’m sorry, we don’t take refunds.” Hamza replied to him. Trust Hamza to ruin the moment. Before I could get annoyed at Hamza, Yusuf chuckled and turned to me with sparkly eyes. That brought out the urge to yell again, stronger than before. I needed to calm down. I literally bit my lip to stop myself from screaming or squealing.

“Are you okay?” Yusuf asked leaning forward and taking a closer look at me. I felt like I was seeing him for the first time. My family had said he was average looking. I too had once thought he wasn’t outstandingly handsome. What was I thinking? This man was gorgeous!

“I’m fine.” I said. Then I turned to Hamza. “Where’s Hafsa?” With every second that went by, my need to tell someone was growing.

“She’s at home. She said she’s going to come later on.”

“I need her now.” I moaned.

“Seriously Safia, are you okay?” Yusuf asked again. His whole body shifted towards me. I wanted to tell him. One month was all it took for him to steal my heart. A desire to wrap my arms around him took over, but my dad was in the room along with Hamza and Zayna. Instead I made an excuse to leave.

“Yeah, I’m just going to my room for something.” I said running out. Not knowing what to do, and too impatient for Hafsa to arrive, I ran to my room and phoned Amy.

“Aslamu’alaykum.” She said after the second ring.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam. I love Yusuf!” Well I didn’t waste any time to let it out. I was sort of dancing as I told her. This must be what people called a happy dance.

“Erm, that’s great… I’m good by the way, how are you?”

“No no no! That’s not the reaction I want. I want you to get out of your seat and jump with me. I just found out I love my husband.”

“I thought you loved him ages ago.”

“Ages ago? We’ve only been married a month. Not even a full month.” Our one month anniversary was going to be on Wednesday.

“Oh. Well in that case, yaaay! You love your husband!”

“Yeah!” I heard the doorbell ring. “Ooh, Hafsa’s here! Sorry but I must go. I need to tell her.”

“Okay, take care!”

“Asalamu’alaykum.”

“Wa’alaykum-“ I hung up before I heard her finish and went running down the stairs. It wasn’t Hafsa at the door; it was Aisha and the little ones. Sara and Musa ran into me, crashing me in a hug. I picked up little Zidan and smothered him in kisses. He was getting bigger and bigger every time I saw him. Seeing the children grow up reminded me of how fast time was going by.