Chapter 70.

Yusuf’s POV

On the first day I got off from work, I went to see mum. I wanted to know what happened from her. Javed opened the door and led me inside before running upstairs to comfort Maryam.

When I stepped inside the room, I felt the dull and tense atmosphere. And from just one look at mum, I knew she was distraught. Of course she was! She’d just been divorced. I sat next to her, not knowing what to do or say. She asked me about Adam and Maria and I responded, telling her the latest news such as how their eyes now followed things.

“What happened?” I asked after we spoke briefly about the babies. Mum turned away from me, her hands shaking slightly while she rested them on her lap.

“He asked if Safia should move back with us and I said no. Then he just snapped. We got into a huge argument about everything and then…” Mum trailed off and fixed her gaze on the floor, refusing to look my way.

“Why did you have to say something like that? You know he’s really fond of Safia, he sees her as his own daughter. Couldn’t you just keep your feelings towards her in? She’s the mother of your grandchildren.”

“It wasn’t even about Safia! He started saying all sorts of things to me. He told me how I was a terrible mother.” Mum put her head in her hands and took a few deep breaths to keep her composure.

“You must have argued back. It wouldn’t have gone so far if you had remained quiet. If he was losing it, you should have kept calm.”

“I wish I did now. But what’s done is done, right?”

“But you can’t keep repeating the same mistake. Can you not see the consequences of your actions? First, Safia and I had to move. Then Maryam actually ran away from here. And now dad has…” It was difficult to say it.

“Are you saying this is all my fault?”

“Are you saying it’s not?”

“How can you say that? He’s the one who divorced me! I’m the victim! Even if I’ve done many bad things in the past, that doesn’t mean that this my fault!”

“I didn’t mean it in that way. Of course you’re not entirely at blame. What dad did after twenty eight years of marriage is wrong. But he had his reasons.”

“Of course you would side with him,” Mum spat.

“I’m not taking sides. I’m pointing out the truth.”

“The truth is only what you wish to see.”

“Are you saying that from experience?” Javed asked, strolling into the room. Mum looked startled.

“Where’s dad?” I asked before they could begin their own conversation. I knew he had gone to a friend’s house.

“I’ll take you to him,” Javed said and I managed to smile back gratefully. We got in his car and he drove me to where dad was temporarily staying. When he parked, I thanked Javed and he drove off. I had no idea who these friends of dad’s were. I walked to their house and rang the doorbell. A young girl opened the door.

“Asalamu’alaykum.” I looked away, wondering whether I should ask her to call her father to let me in, or ask her if I could see my dad.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam. Are you here to see uncle Suleiman?” I nodded. “Oh. You look a little like him. Come in. You can take your shoes off at the door. Uncle’s upstairs, just go straight.” I nodded again. A woman’s voice called out and said something in another language. “It’s someone for uncle Suleiman. I let him in, is that okay?” The girl replied. Yelling some more things, the woman emerged from the kitchen. She looked like the girl’s mother.