Chapter 49.

Yusuf’s POV

I knew I was going to be thickly involved in this. Safia almost begged me to accompany her to see Amy’s dad with Hamza.

“He’s so scary!” She said about Amy’s dad. “Please come. I need you there.”

“Hamza’s going to be there.”

“He’s a bigger wimp than me!” I chuckled.

“He’s not a wimp. Believe me, you’ll be fine.”

“He’s a wimp around Amy so he’ll probably be a wimp around her dad. Please come, for me?” She said batting her eyelashes.

“No, I don’t want too! There will be too many people!”

“As your wife, I demand you accompany me!”

“You can’t demand me! But okay.” I said unwillingly giving in. “I’ll come.” She wasn’t going to stop until I gave in so I decided to just save us some time.

“Yay!” She screeched happily. “Just don’t tell Mr Faber that you’re related to Javed though.”

“What if he figures it out? Apparently we have some similarities.”

“Not enough to figure it out. You both have brown hair, but his is darker.” She analysed my face. “That’s about it. He looks like your mum and you look a bit like dad. He won’t be able to tell. I hope so anyway.”

“Are you having second thoughts about me coming?” I asked hopefully.

“No, you’re coming.” I sighed in defeat.

Safia found a day when all of us were free to go to Amy’s house. I really didn’t understand why I had to be there. But for Safia’s sake I was. Safia and I met up with Hamza and he drove us to Amy’s house. He didn’t look so nervous. Safia, however, looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there.

We got to the house and Hamza stayed cool until we actually entered and he was face to face with Amy. He dropped his head and wouldn’t lift his eyes off the floor.

“Dad will be down in a moment. Come through, my mum’s been waiting to meet you. Even you, Yusuf.” She said and I followed her behind Safia. That was weird and flattering, Amy’s mum wanted to meet me. I didn’t think she even knew I existed.

We walked over to a bed which had a delicate figure lying down facing the window. Amy told us all to sit so we squashed ourselves on a nearby sofa. Amy took a chair out and put it near the bed.

“Sit here Safia.” For some odd reason, Safia looked like she didn’t want to move. She practically forced herself to get up and sit on the chair Amy put out for her. “Ma, Safia, Yusuf and Hamza are here.” Amy said to her mum. Her mum said something I couldn’t understand and Amy helped her turn to face us. “Safia, you introduce them and I’ll just go get my dad.” The discomfort was clear on Safia’s face and Amy gave her an apologetic smile. This was outside of Safia’s comfort zone. Usually, she had someone else do the talking for her.

“Mrs Faber, this is Hamza.” She said pointing to Hamza. “And that’s my husband Yusuf.” Then she became quiet. She didn’t know what to say as Mrs Faber couldn’t respond. Mrs Faber said something and Safia just stared back at her blankly. Then she smiled awkwardly.

Soon enough, Amy came in with a tray of drinks. She told us her dad was coming and Safia jumped out of her seat and sat next to me, squeezing my hand. Mr Faber entered the room and gave us a nod before taking the seat Safia was in.

“I’m assuming you’re Hamza.” He said to Hamza.

“Yes sir, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” He said sticking his hand out for Mr Faber to shake. I don’t think anyone noticed how he quickly wiped his hands on his jeans before he held it up for a handshake. Mr Faber looked at his hand and for a moment, I thought he would ignore it. But he shook Hamza’s hand and then told him to have some juice.