Chapter 55.

Yusuf’s POV

It was time to tell my mother. I had no idea how she would react. Deep down, I hoped and sort of expected this news to make everything magically better. My family wasn’t like Safia’s. We didn’t speak about these things so openly. I wasn’t even sure if Maryam knew what pregnancy was. She probably did but I’d never really spoke about these things with her properly.

I was waiting for some time to pass before I broke the news to mum. With every passing moment, my excitement and anticipation for her reaction grew. When I couldn’t take it anymore, I took mum to the side and told her.

“Safia and I are having a baby.” I played with my fingers nervously, waiting for her to say something.

“You mean she’s…?” She rubbed her stomach and I grinned, nodding. “Oh.” She looked like she got lost in some thoughts.

“Mum?”

“I’m going to be a grandmother.” She finally said.

“Yeah!”

“Wow. I wasn’t expecting that.” Mum looked like she was in a state of awe. I felt it was a good thing. But just to confirm, I asked,

“How do you feel?”

“Old,” She replied. I felt my excitement die down as it always did when I told mum something good. “But I’m quite pleased with that news. I haven’t held a little child in ages. Now there will be a child who will be my flesh and blood.” She smiled to herself and I beamed at her.

“So you’re happy?”

“Of course! When is it due?”

“We’re only five or six weeks in yet. In’sha’allah it will be in our arms around September.”

“I’ve got to tell everyone. At least Safia’s good for something!” I wanted to say, she’s good for a lot of things but I restrained myself from doing so. I didn’t want to ruin this rare happy moment I was sharing with mum.

“Who do you mean by everyone?”

“Javed, Suleiman, Maryam and maybe some of my friends.”

“I’d prefer if you didn’t tell any of your friends yet. I want to keep it in the family for now.” Although mum looked disappointed, she nodded understandingly.

As expected, a few minutes later, Maryam came running into the room. She stood in front of me hopping from foot to foot.

“Congratulations?” She was obviously wondering whether this was something we could discuss. And I could tell she was desperate to talk about it.

“Thank you.” I said, not knowing what to reply.

“Erm… How’s Safia?”

“She’s doing well alhamdulillah. She’s a little emotional but that’s about it.”

“Have you seen it yet?” She asked eagerly.

“How on earth am I going to see it?”

“Ultrasound?”

“Maryam! You’re like 6 years old. How do you know that stuff?” We had a big age difference so I always saw her as a kid.

“I’m 16! Of course I know that stuff. I learnt it on school!” She said defensively.

“Well you can discuss this with Safia. I don’t want to talk about this with you.” I knew there was no harm in it but it just felt weird. It was scary seeing Maryam growing up. I wanted to play pranks on her and listen to her boring stories about her friends. Not have a conversation about my unborn child. “Just for the record, we have an appointment in about two months. We can see it then.”