Chapter 69.

Safia’s POV

Uncle Yahya came to take us to see Amy. I saw Hamza as soon as I entered my parents house.

“Asalamu’alaykum.” I took in Hamza’s worn out face. I had to look away. It hurt to see my overly confident brother with such a sad expression and tired eyes.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam.”

“Where’s Amy?” I asked him.

“She’s gone to see her dad. They’re going to discuss where they’re going to bury her. There seems to be a disagreement.”

“Why are you here? Why aren’t you there helping? What if they argue? And in this state at this time! You shouldn’t have left her alone!” I scolded.

“She told me it’s better if I leave them to discuss it. What if he argues with me? That would make it worse for Amy.”

“I just… I’m worried about her,” I say weakly.

“You think I’m not? You think I’m fine seeing my wife like this?” Hamza rubbed his face. “You know what? I’ll go check on her now.”

“If he does try to argue with you, don’t say anything back. He just lost his wife, remember that,” I advised. Hamza nodded and left.

“You okay?” Yusuf asked.

“I think I’m getting a headache,” I replied.

“Shall I ask your mum for some painkillers?” I shook my head.

“I want to avoid them as much as I can.” Yusuf nodded understandingly. I tried keeping my diet healthy for I was providing nutrition for my babies. The doctors allowed certain painkillers but I still avoided them.

Everyone wanted to hold Adam and Maria which gave me a little break. Hamza and Amy came back with good news. Amy had gone straight to her room so I didn’t get a chance to see her. Hamza let us know Mr. Faber had reluctantly agreed to where Amy wanted to bury her mother. Then he followed her up. I didn’t understand why there was a disagreement in the first place.

Soon, the babies began to cry. With Zayna’s permission, I headed to her room to feed the babies. I was so worried about Amy and this sudden awful news that I didn’t even feel much pain during the feed.

Once I was done, I gave one baby to Zayna and the other to Yusuf. Then I climbed to the third floor to Hamza and Amy's room and knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” Hamza asked.

“It’s me. Safia.”

“Come in.” I opened to door to see Amy and Hamza sitting on the floor, Hamza leaning back on the bed with his arm around Amy while Amy hugged her legs and buried her head into her knees. Hamza slowly got up, stroking Amy’s back for a moment before he ushered me inside and left, closing the door behind him. I sat down where Hamza was sat before.

“Amy? Look at me.” I didn’t know what to say or do. How was I supposed to comfort someone when their just mother passed away? Amy looked up at me, her eyes swollen with tears but a soft smile on her face.

“Two days ago, Ma said her shahadah.” I let it sink on for a moment. Then it made sense! Amy probably wanted her mother to be buried in an Islamic cemetery.

“That’s fantastic!” I said, putting on a smile hoping to make Amy feel better. “It’s sad she didn’t get to live a longer Muslim life. But that’s the will of Allah, right? And she died with barely, if any, sins. Isn’t that the dream?”

“Yeah. That provides me with some comfort. But I keep thinking about how I’ll never talk to her again. Or see her. Or hold her.” Amy bit her trembling lips as she buried her head back into her knees. I gave her hug.