Chapter 77.

Safia’s POV

I wanted to do something for Yusuf. Something big and major to show how much I appreciated him. But I had no idea what to do. Yusuf was out with his old alim course friends which I never knew existed and I wanted him to come home to a nice surprise. Amy had gone to see her dad so I couldn’t ask for her help. I was left with Hamza.

“Dearest brother, I have a question. If you had the choice to receive any surprise from Amy, what would you choose?” I asked. Hamza didn’t even have to think before replying.

“Food followed by… Never mind.” There was a moment of awkwardness before I asked,

“Anything else? Anything at all? Something that doesn’t involve food and… Never mind.”

“Why do you want to know?” Hamza asked.

“I want to do something nice for Yusuf.”

“Well, you could get him a ticket to watch a football match. But you wouldn’t want to go so you could get me one and I’ll go for you. How does that sound?”

“No,” I replied narrowing my eyes. “Ooh how about a poem!”

“Lame.”

“It’s not lame! It’s romantic. I can write a love poem.”

“Please don’t. Your writing’s awful.” He put his hands together and begged me not to write.

“I can type it and print it.”

“I didn’t mean your handwriting although that’s awful too. I meant your poetry. I once read something you wrote in school about Romeo and Juliet, it was appalling. It was actually agonizing to read.” Hamza could be so dramatic.

“Okay, fine! No need to insult me that badly. And my writing can’t be that bad. I have a degree.”

“Your essays are fine but when it comes to poetry and prose, you’re rubbish at it,” Hamza stated bluntly. “I should know. I have a degree in English.”

“Well, I do need my little flaws. I can’t be perfect.”

“True. No need to worry, you have plenty of flaws to stop yourself from reaching perfection.”

“I got an idea! I can get Hafsa to help me!” I said ignoring him.

“So you’re sticking with the idea of giving him a poem? Oh dear. Want me to teach Yusuf how to fake appreciation?” I sighed frustrated at Hamza.

“Well you’re not being any help so yes, I’m going to write a poem with the help of Hafsa. That’s final no matter how much you tease me.” I said getting up. “Drop me, Adam and Maria off to mum’s house, please.”

“Fine. I’ll just change my clothes and phone Amy to let her know I’m going.” Hamza went up to his part of the house while I changed into an abaya and hijab. Hamza came down and we put Adam and Maria into their car seats before I quickly went around the house to make sure the doors were locked and the windows were closed before we left.

When I got to mum’s house, Hafsa wasn’t there. I waited impatiently for a little while before I got the twin buggy out of the boot of Hamza’s car and put Adam and Maria into it. I went to Hafsa’s house and rang the doorbell. Hafsa’s youngest sister, Samiya, opened the door. We greeted each other and I asked for Hafsa. Samiya told me she wanted to take care of the babies while I talked to Hafsa. I was hesitant at first but I saw Aunt Asma was there too. Reluctantly, I left Adam and Maria downstairs and went to Hafsa’s room.

Hafsa was sitting there with a book in one hand, a laptop on her lap and her phone in the other hand.

“You call this studying?” I asked, catching her staring intently on the screen of her phone.