Chapter 62.

Yusuf’s POV

On a random normal day after Safia’s exams had finished, I got home from work and heard crying as soon as I opened the door. The first thing I thought was ‘Why is Safia crying now?’ As I went into the living room, I saw Safia comforting Maryam.

“What on earth are you doing here?” I asked. “And why are you crying?” This was a rare scene, to see Maryam crying, especially in mine and Safia’s home. Something terrible must have happened.

“Oh. Asalamu’alaykum, Yusuf.” Safia said looking up.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam. What’s going on?”

“I am never ever going back.” Maryam wiped her tears. I sat down next to her.

“Tell me, what happened.”

“I got into a fight with mum yesterday. She’s supposed to be my mother but she treats me like I’m a burden. It started when I reached for the last piece of chicken and she told me to leave it for Javed.”

“Are you serious?” I asked in disbelief.

“I know it doesn’t sound like something worth fighting over but I got fed up. Do you have any idea how life’s been since you’ve gone? Javed has gone a little better and I can talk to him but only a bit. Some days it gets so lonely.”

“It sounds like you’ve been watching too many films.” Safia glared at me as I said this.

“It’s not a jokey matter. I’m absolutely sick and tired of everyone! I don’t want to stay at home anymore. I don’t care where I have to go. Get me married off or something, just get me out of there!” She screamed.

“Maryam, calm down.”

“No! I hate everyone there. I told mum that she always favours Javed and do you know what she said? She said, so what? Like that’s a completely fine thing to do. Like I don’t matter! She doesn’t care about anyone but Javed. I tried to talk to her about your children; she acts like she doesn’t care. I asked her what names she likes and she just shrugs it off. No, she doesn’t act like she doesn’t care, she really doesn’t care.”

“Okay, have you let it all out of your system?” I asked.

“And then,“

“I guess not.”

“She has the nerve to say I’m the one causing trouble? Me? What the heck did I do? Javed tried to back me up at first but then he started taking her side too. The whole time, dad just sat there saying nothing. Why won’t he just speak up for once? It’s so annoying!”

“Now are you done?” Maryam nodded. “Good. Now tell me, how did you get here?” I asked.

“I took a bus. After yesterday’s argument, I packed my stuff and made a plan that I’d come here after college. So I did.”

“So, you’re running away from home?”

“Yes.” I put my head in my hands. “What?”

“Seriously, what books have you been reading?”

“This has nothing to do with books or whatever. I told you, I’ve had enough.”

“Maryam, I had it much worse than you. The age gap between me and Javed is smaller and I was a boy. That meant I was constantly being compared to him. He outshined me in every way yet I stayed. I grit my teeth and soldiered on.”

“You had your own ways of dealing with it, like smoking,” Maryam replied and Safia looked up in shock.

“You smoked?” She asked.