Part 1

Algeciras

I sat on my platform. Just as I did every day, my legs curled in at my side, watching as shadows moved across the ceiling- my only sense that a breeze ran through the city today. 

here in my cage I sat. Waiting. Always I was waiting for the words.

''have you heard today, Seer?''

I looked at my plump master with the dead silver eyes he was used to. He stared for moments then turned to his sickly advisor in exasperation.
''she sees nothing. She says nothing. What am I to do with this Seer that tells me nothing.''

The advisor spoke in a hushed and desperate tone. ''please sire, have faith. Allah has marked her as his vessel. Even though she is a heathen- Allah is in even the spider's web.'' The snivelling man looked into my eyes for a split second before whipping his head away, frightened, of what my eyes might see in him.

 I didn't care about what schemes festered in his head. My accursed eyes moved back to the shadows dancing over painted stones. A zephyr infiltrated the room unexpectedly- I hungrily inhaled the sweet floral scent that flowed in. orange blossom wrapped in the dizzying salty, fresh sea air.

Then the whispering started. ''they come. They come on the wind and cut through the waves.''

I looked at the two men in the room with hot anger flaring in my eyes. I was met with curious stares. They were silent. The master approached with a tentative hand reaching towards me. His eyes held an eager excitement. 

It repulsed me.

As the meaty mitt crossed into the ring of light which streamed in from the skylight above me, I made to warn the bastard. I lunged from my position snapping my teeth inches from his fingers to land on my palms. The slapping of my flesh on the marble echoed in the chamber soon joined in harmony by the tinny ringing of the swords which were unsheathed. As the guards leapt from the shadowed corners to pull the master behind their wall of blades I sniggered. I half expected the city governor to piss himself. I receded from the edge of my pool of light to rest once more in my previous position.

 Again ignoring the fools. I let out a cruel chuckle at imagining the shame he would feel if he did piss himself.

All the guards who were so willing would be put to death for witnessing it. Not to mention the base advisor who cowered against the wall.

Apparently what amused me did not touch the master. His face bloomed into a red ball of pompous fury. He had always had a fat face but now it had blown up into a balloon of impotent anger- what could he do? I was al'iilhia - The Seer. The title curdled in my head my lip turning up into a menacing snarl. That stupid title had taken so much from me. What else could they take without wasting my potential?

''that's it!'' he screamed with the built-up frustration of the last six years etched into the words as they bounced off the walls of my small cell. If any more emotion had been forced into such few words I thought the blue and gold tiles might rupture around the room. 

The guards sheathed their swords and stood to attention as the seething man stepped forward his finger raised as a rod of judgement. I smirked still, as I saw that he kept it out of my column of light– safe distance. 

This only goaded him further. ''you! You will be taken to the harem and I will have you this night! Then to the men! And finally to the dogs! You will fall from Allah's light and become a wicked Witch! Let us see if you still smile after that you whore!'' he stared, searching my face for fear. The only fear to be found in the room was the twitch of the guard's brow and of course the whimpering of that damned mollusc of an advisor.