Chapter 2

That night as I lay in bed, I contemplated on the day's events.  A little challenge wont be so bad.

I have always been competitive and with the recent turn of events, I just might let the mean streak begin again.  And I mean mean in a positive, non-violent way.  After all, it is not good to be complacent.  If I were to fulfill my goal of becoming  an award-winning writer in a few years, a little competition should be  welcomed with open arms.  Not that I lacked a bit of that in the office.  

During my first few weeks, I could feel scrutinizing eyes on me.  Some co-employees were trying to size me up, wondering on what I can do that I deserved to be hired in a span of a fortnight.

I did what was suggested by the Chronicles' HR Manager after my internship. I submitted an application letter as soon as I fulfilled all my remaining commitments to graduate in the university.  Since they knew me and were familiar with performane and work ethics, my application was kind of fast tracked.  An exam and several interviews after, I found myself completing my pre-employment requirements.  Who would have thought I'd land a job offer so soon that I didn't even get to attend my graduation?    

My co-workers have been friendly enough though.  During my first few months, I followed instructions religiously;  I attended field work, conducted interviews, researched meticulously, and turned over flawless articles.  When i started becoming more accustomed to my duties, I started giving suggestions, respectfully but with enough boldness.

And that's how I won my superiors and colleagues over. I never went beyond my place the company: a greenhorn reporter with still lots to learn but armed with eagerness to aim high and do more.

I have always been an achiever.  Hey, is it wrong to try and live up to your potentials?  From grade school to college, I was consistently in the honors list and in the student council.  In college, I was even elected the student council president-- my highest post ever.  I guess you can say I'm a bit of a late bloomer. 

My grades were always high.  I was class salutatorian.  Everybody assumed I was getting Political Science as my course and be a lawyer thereafter.  The late senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago was my idol after all.  Mini-Miriam, they dubbed me as. 

But no, I took journalism because I do have another hero: CNN's Christian Amanpour.  I admire her cool demeanor.  As a reporter, she is fearless and very well-composed.

I suppose it was the senator who rubbed off more influence on me.  I was the captain my high school debate team and regularly won best speaker. I've been told several times that my debating style reminded them of the late politician. In the two years that I was in the team, we were unbeaten. On my final year, I was appointed captain.  We still won our cases. 

Except this one time.

It was the grand cup of the interschool debating competition. My team made it to the finals. It was us-- an all-girls school team --versus a team that came from an all-boys school. It was a close fight but in the end the judges awarded them as the champions.

I cried a little when I got home that night. I said to myself, you can't win them all. This is just high school and not yet the main arena was my mantra.

Hey, at least the team captain who beat us was kinda cute. Scrawny and nerdy-looking with his black rimmed glasses, ala Harry Potter... but cute nonetheless.

I checked the time. It's almost midnight?!, I screamed mentally and incredulously as I glanced at the clock. Tomorrow's another day, I reminded myself as I vowed to deliver yet another excellent new article.

I drifted off to sleep.  My thoughts about work and that boy pushed aside.