Chapter 8

"Hey. Feeling better now?" This was Sam's greeting when I arrived in the office the next day.

"A lot better. I had a goodnight's sleep. Mom and I caught up on each other over pizza."

"Sarap naman."

"Parang pajama party, ganun," I said with a warm smile. I missed random bonding nights with my mom. After college, I moved back home although when I lived near my university, I still went home during holidays. I got caught up in student activities during weekends and I took some subjects during summer breaks. We communicated all the time but physical presence is so much better.

"Oh by the way, there are flowers on your desk."

"Huh? From who?" I said with a dash of excitement and a heap of curiosity. I hope they're from John.

"Not sure. I didn't read it. Ikaw naman." Sam said, rolling her eyes.

I laughed. This is why I love Sam. She knows boundaries and that in friendships, privacy is still important. Familiarity breeds contempt so we only share what we want to share at the right time.

"Why don't you check it out?" Sam said as she made her way to the warehouse. "And tell me more about that incident yesterday!" she called out loudly while disappearing from my view.

I shook my head with a smirk. Sige, Sam. Isigaw mo pa. I practically ran as I made my way to my cubicle. I was eager to see the flowers and find out who they are from.

It was a sunflower arrangement in a mason jar. In between the sunflowers are a bunch of green stalks and some other little yellow flowers whose name I was unfamiliar with.

It looked like a do-it-yourself bouquet, which in my opinion was a lot sweeter than ready-made arrangements

Near the rim of the jar, there was a brown twisted paper twine string wrapped around it a few times. The matching brown tag dangling on it said:

Maine,

I know I ruined your day yesterday. Again, I'm sorry about this accident. I hope these make up for it and brighten your day.

RJ

Despite my growing annoyance of this guy, the note and flowers made me smile. I brought the bouquet in the rest room to fill it up with water. I placed it on my desk and began typing away on the spare computer. I have to retrieve mine from the IT Department later. Maybe John is there.

"Ahem, ahem."

It was my editor Andy.

"Hi boss."

"Nice flowers."

"It's Faulker guy's way of apologizing."

We made our way to his room and I told him about the accident. When I finished recounting the details, I asked. "Do you think he is sabotaging me?'

"Hard to tell. We don't know the guy. Maybe it really was an accident."

"I actually know him."

Andy's back straightened and his face gave a look of surprise. "How so?"

"In high school. We were both captain of our schools' debate team. My team lost to his in the championship."

Andy laughed. "And you meet again! It looks like you met your match." He paused, as if in deep deliberation. "I'm not gonna tell you to befriend him. That's up to you but it can help to get to know him so you can watch your back."

"Like the adage 'Keep your friends close but your enemies closer'."

Andy laughed again. "I'm not saying he's a bad person, but yeah. Something like that."

~~~~~

During dinner with Sam, I told her the same details I gave Andy.

"Maybe it really was an accident."

"Sir Andy said the same thing. As in verbatim. Word for word."

"He seems like a nice guy."

It was now my turn to roll my eyes at Sam. "You like him?!"

"I didn't say that. But he is likeable."

"Anong difference nun?!" I was getting a little agitated. Does my buddy like RJ?  The thought bothers me.

"Hoy, anong inisip mo ha? Na crush ko yun?! Tumigil ka nga. All I'm saying is that he is a pleasant guy, but he may be cunning. I don't really know."

"What do you mean by 'cunning'?"

"He seems to be chummy chummy with Senator Lee's assistant."

"Si Amy?!," I blurted, almost spitting out my juice.

"Yep. It seems that he was there before us. For an interview with the Senator or his team, I'm unsure. But when Amy was on the phone with him, she spoke with him excitedly and it sounded as if they were setting up a date."

"Like date, date?'

"Maybe.  You have to consider that I only heard one side of the conversation."

My earlier discussion with Sir Andy rang in my head. Keep your friends close but your enemies closer. What are you up to RJ? Suddenly, a thought crossed my mind like a ray of sunshine.

I still have his jacket in the car.  

Photo: CTTO