Chapter 6

We sat down at the same time.  I put down my cup of joe on the table and immediately set up my laptop.

What a relief that I have work with me.  This way I'm not forced to make small talk with him.  No awkward silence there either.

But at the same time, I don't want to be rude too.  "Thank you for sharing your table with me," I said as I tried to keep things as brief and straightforward as possible.

"You're welcome."  He said rather sincerely.  I was relieved when he didn't say anything further.

I went on reviewing my interview questions from my file.  In 35 more minutes, I have an interview with Senator Lee whose office was just within walking distance from this coffeeshop.  As I was taking a few sips of my coffee, he blurted, "You're from the Chronicle, right."

It was a statement, not a question.  "And you're from the Post," I blurted back.

He just smiled.  "I remember you from..."

"... the interschool debates, yeah?"  I immediately mentioned.

The opened line of conversion about the debating team got ME into an internal debate.  Should I continue the small talk?  I was done reviewing my questions.  He seems like a nice guy.  His laptop is open too, but he didn't look busy.  Oh, what the heck.

"It seems like ages ago, no?"  I added in retrospect.  In truth, it has only been five or six years.  But it felt like a lifetime ago, what with the many milestones I've achieved.

High school diploma.  First taste of independence by living in a dorm, then in an apartment.  First boyfriend then first heartbreak.  College diploma.  First job and first salary.  Oh, the trials and tribulations of young adulthood.  I loathe cliches, but this phrase is just so apt.  

"Where were you in college?" I asked.

"I went to UP Diliman.  I took Political Science.  Prior to the Post, I was in law school.  UP pa rin."

I almost took Political Science.  "Why did you stop?"  Oops, I didn't want to get too personal.  So I immediately added, "If you don't mind me asking...?"

"I got burned out from studying.  I thought going out into the real world and getting a job would help get me back into the groove.  So far, so good." Richard paused, looking into the horizon as if deep in thought.  He brought his gaze back to me.  "I will go back eventually.  I just needed a change of scene and do something different."

"You like your job?" I asked.

Still gazing at me, he immediately answered, "I do.  How about you?"

"Oh, I love it.  I can see myself doing it my whole life," I said with conviction.

"Whoa, that's quite a pronouncement.  Were you a journalism major?"

"Yes, in Saint Paul University in Manila."

"Cool."

The small talk was getting a little awkward now.  I checked the time by holding up my forearm.  Thank God it is almost time to leave.  I still have 20 minutes before my appointment with the Senator but I would prefer to sit around his office first and acclimate with the surroundings.  I took a big gulp my drink and set it down.  I snapped my laptop shut and slung the bag on my lap over my shoulder.

I faced him.  "Got to go.  Thanks again."

"Oh, no problem.  You know, I never got to formally introduce myself.  I'm RJ Faulkerson."

"And I'm Maine Mendoza."  I was getting ready to leave my seat and he made a gesture of wanting to stand up as well.  In this process, he moved his laptop by pushing it farther into the table.

Alas, my drink was behind it!

In a split second, I saw the cup tumble, emptying some of its half-finished contents on my lap while the rest crawled its way towards my computer.

SH*T.  OH SH*T!!