Chapter 32- The Expat Child

Flights to Wellington from Manila

I typed these words on Google while sitting up on the bed with the computer on my lap.

"Menggay, please rest now," I heard my mother say behind the closed door of my room.

"Resting na po," I answered.

"Bakit naririnig ko pa rin yang keyboard mo? You're still typing away."

"It's not work related po... just a part of my relaxation."

I didn't get any more response from her, so I assumed my mom has retired to her room. I continued typing and perusing the best flight deal I could get. The rates, surprisingly, aren't as expensive as I thought they would be. For a range of 55 to 70 thousand pesos, I could book a flight to Wellington then back to Manila. The lodging and daily expenses on the other hand, would be a different matter.

I've always wanted to travel more, to see the world. And with this goal, New Zealand is on the list of my places to visit. Apart from being the beautiful filming location of the Lord of the Rings franchise however, I don't know much about the country.

I paused from researching first and reached out for RJ's letter on my bedside table. I must have read his missive for at least 10 times now. What is this thing that Angel is going through anyway?

Instead of continuing with my current research, I opened another tab on the browser to put another entry on the search box. Instead of finding more about this trip I am planning, I instead typed 'expat child syndrome'.

It is the psychological condition that children, typically from ages 10 to 15, go through when moving to a different country. New and unfamiliar situations can be intimidating, at times even traumatic, that children can feel unsettled by an event of this magnitude. It can be daunting for kids to leave behind everything they know.

Even adults can be overwhelmed and apprehensive of moving to an entirely new place. Imagine what it would be like for children of these ages, who are already dealing with hormonal changes and the transition from late childhood to early adulthood. In addition, youngsters these ages rely heavily on their social circles for support that being away from them can be especially difficult and stressful.

For children, the slightest bit of negativity can trigger feelings of homesickness. While adults make their own adjustment to a new home, job, and surroundings, children can feel isolated and alone.

Symptoms can be different for each child but parents have to watch out for signs of uncooperativeness, disruptiveness, withdrawal, and seclusion of oneself.

Factors to consider are the similarities and proximity of the new place to their previous country, plus the school environment.

Communication is the key to overcome Expat Child Syndrome. Parents may be dealing with their own set of adjustments but a simple acknowledgement to the child's feelings and frustrations can be a big step towards easing anxieties.

The child has left behind a network of friends, so it is crucial to have a strong support system at home. Encourage the child to make new friends on their own terms and without pressure. Let them join in extracurricular activities to build-up confidence and widen their social circles, while maintaining communication with their old friends.