Chapter 13

RJ and I were quiet during the first few minutes of our walk. Only the rustling of leaves and twigs can be heard as we took leisurely strides. RJ, being unfamiliar with the route to my home, let me set the pace and lead the way.

This walk is already doing me good. I read somewhere that taking a stroll speeds up metabolism to help process the alcohol in your system faster. But most experts say that no, walking does not help the intoxication go away, no matter how slight it is.

One thing's for sure though, our village's lush greenery unfailingly improves my mood and perspective during every single stroll.

It makes sense, as exposure to nature has a calming effect on humans. It comes not just from the air but from the microorganisms in the soil. Nature helps the brain focus and by centering the mind, the body relaxes with it. There is something about its beauty that helps people feel more connected to the earth and to themselves.

Apart from that, the walk is already spurring the production of my endorphins, the brain's neurotransmitter that triggers positive vibes.

"I understand why you would want to walk around your village. Ang ganda dito," he said referring to the magnificent tall trees that line up our main avenue.

Developed in the 1960s, our community has expansive streets with trees lining up the sides. Maintained to be around 7 meters high, their gangly branches and dense foliage serve as relief from the heat and pollution of the city.       

"Yes, especially during Christmas. I love walking around to appreciate the decor. Very cheery. It makes you really feel the Christmas spirit. It's one of the things that comfort me and always brings me memories of my childhood," I told him with a twinkle of nostalgia in my eyes.

"How long have you been living in this village?"

"Since I was three. So 20 years.  Pero in the last few years, kami nalang ng mom ko dito. Yung older brother and older sister ko have their own families now. My dad died five years ago."

"Oh. Sorry to hear that."

"It's fine. It's been a long time," I assured him.

We are now making a right turn to reach the Phase 2 of our village, where my house is located.

"I'm a year older than you pala. I took Grade 8 in the US, where we lived for a year," RJ revealed.

"Well, nowadays every student in the Philippines has to take 12 years of basic education," I commented woefully.  "What made your family come back?"

"Dad never felt at home there, even though he is half American."

"Oh. I couldn't tell. With a surname like Faulkerson, it's not obvious," I teased, eyeing his mestizo features. 

"No. You can't tell. Not at all," he said with a wide grin, playing along with my sarcasm.

Ask him about Amy.

"Gano na kayo katagal sa Laguna?"

"Since I was in college. Grade school and high school, we were in Manila, except for that one year in the US. But my older brother and younger sister are back there. They are dual citizens now."

He continued. "Only my dad, mom, and youngest sister are in Laguna. My dad's work is there now. He is an agriculturalist. He used to be in a corporation but is now in an international organization.  I, on the other hand, am now based in Eastwood.  In a townhouse that the family also owns."

Ask him about Amy. 

No!  I'm not that drunk!

"Ang galing mo mag gitara."

"Thank you. I took lessons when I was seven and continued with them till I was 12."

"Were you ever in a band?"

"Just briefly. Nung college, with Ethan. I still jam with them once in a while. Ethan can do it since he's a full time law student. But he's an apprentice in his dad's law firm too."

"Oh, so magkasama pa rin kayo sa law school?"

"That's right," he affirmed.

Ask him about Amy.

"Close pala kayo ni Amy from the Senator's office." I finally asked because I couldn't resist.

"We are into this... how should I say this... project together but I wouldn't say we are close."

"But you invited her tonight!" I said a little more loudly that I intended.

Thankful, there was no unusual reaction from him.

"She overheard me inviting you, so when she asked me I told her she could come as well," he explained, shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly.  
I was a bit embarrassed with the way I delivered that last statement so even though I was curious about this 'project', I chose to keep quiet.

Instead I said, "We are almost on my street. Now you have walk back to your car all alone."

"It doesn't matter. At least I got to spend more time with you."

Oh my goodness, what is he implying?

"Maine," he said while boring his eyes into mine.

"Yes," I answered, gasping a little .

"We are friends right...?" he asked tentatively.

"Yes...?" I replied not knowing where he is going with this line of questioning.

"Do you think it would be a problem if I text you every now and then?"

"Why would it be a problem?" I said furrowing my brows and forehead.

"Because we are from rival papers assigned to the same beat?" he said with an unsure tone.

"As long as we stay professional in our jobs and as long as we let confidential things stay confidential, I can't imagine that would be a problem." I reckoned thoughtfully.

"That's good to hear.  You've been in this profession longer, so I trust your insight," he replied with a smile.

"Can I add you on Facebook?" RJ asked.

"Sure.  Search my name. I'm sure we have common friends."

We are now standing in front of my house, staring at each other amidst the cool breeze.

Not knowing what to do next, I said, "I would love to invite you inside but..."

"Of course, of course," he responded quickly.  "I don't think your mom would appreciate a man walking into your house at this hour."

I smiled at him.  He is smiling back.  He looks so gorgeous with the moonlight on his face, I thought breathlessly.

After a few seconds I said gently, "RJ, it's almost 1 a.m."

"I should get going," he said but he did not move an inch.

"Go, turn around or else I'll walk back with you to your car."

"What?!," he exclaimed.

And in the stillness of the night, we both laughed out loud.

Suddenly, the neighbors' dogs started barking, their booming voices filling the air. 

This made us laugh even more but we muffled the sounds by covering our mouths. 

"You better get going before we wake up the neighbors," I urged him.

"Go inside your house then, then I'll start walking back."

"Text me when you reach home?"

"I will," he promised. 

I unlocked the gate and with one final look at him, I closed and locked it back.

I was in the middle of my nighttime rituals when my phone beeped.  It was RJ, saying that he is home and that he wishes me a peaceful slumber. 

I went to bed with the silliest of smiles  and the most pleasant of thoughts.