Chapter 15

"RJ, watch out!" I warned hurriedly, as a water bottle flew past his head. It was supposed to target the police officer trying to curb the argument already heating up between two groups at the proposed transportation modernization protest rally we are covering.

"Thanks," he muttered with a relieved but anxious nod.

"You're welcome," I acknowledged, starting to become nervous myself.

It was a manic Monday morning. As expected, the protesters took the first day of the work week as an opportunity to paralyze the city's commuting activities. This emphasizes their stance against the suggestion to phase-out certain vehicles types and all vehicles that are 10 years old and above. The government is aiming to implement this policy two years from now.

The crowd is estimated at 5,000 and is composed of two groups: the protesters mostly from the transportation sector and the counter-protesters made up of environmentalists.

One side is fighting for drivers and operators, who say that even though their vehicles are old, they remain roadworthy. According to their leader, hundreds of thousands of drivers and operators will lose their jobs and livelihood while millions of commuters will be affected by this suggestion.

"Hindi lang 'yan dito sa Maynila kundi sa buong bansa, lalo na sa mga malalayo at maliliit na bayan sa mga probinsya," the leader stressed.

The counter-protesters reasoned that modernizing our vehicles will not only protect and preserve the environment, it will also keep the roads safer. "Bukod pa dyan, grabe ang polusyon na dulot ng mga lumang sasakyan. With this bill, hindi lang environment ang bubuti, pati na rin ang ating mga kalusugan.

"I don't like where this is going. It looks like this protest is going to escalate into violence," RJ observed keenly.

And those were his words just before the water bottle missed his left ear by a mere centimeter.

At the moment, the arguments of both sides are becoming so passionate that they are starting to resort to trading hurtful words.

"Hindi kami tutol sa pag-aalaga ng kalikasan. 'Wag nyo kami gawing tanga. Pero hindi malinaw ang daan patungo dyan sa panukala na yan." Where will the funds for the modernization come from? It certainly cannot be taken from motorists? How much would fares costs if that were the case? And how can operators recoup and make a profit?

Environmentalists maintain that this modernization and phase-out plans will be for the long term benefits of everyone.

The angry transport sector leader shouted, "'Wag nyong maliitin ang mga pag-iisip namin. Pero sana, maglatag ng mas kunkretong plano kung saan kukunin ang pondo."

Insults and cuss words were now being hurled at each other. Indeed, several other things followed that bottle. Then, the police decided to step in.

I saw Melissa, a reporter from a TV station, get twisted by the arm by an angry protester, perhaps in an effort to pull her away from their leader. But RJ came to support her. "Hindi po kami kalaban," he clarified and the protester let her go. She was in tears and her arm had red marks all over.

"Do you ladies have everything you need?" RJ asked.

"Pretty much," I answered as RJ grabbed my shoulders to lead me and Melissa out of the crowd as things were getting insane.

The two groups are turning into one big, uncontrollable mob.

"I wonder where the rest of our team is?" I asked, deeply worried.

"I'm wondering the same thing." While moving away from the crowd, RJ was tiptoeing and craning his neck to scour the scene and check on his photographer buddy Jerald, as well as Sam. Both were on the other side of the street. Sam noticed him checking on them so she held a thumbs-up sign to indicate that they were fine. They proceeded to go inside a building, presumably to take photos from an aerial view.

"Sam and Jerald are fine. They went inside a building. Let's stay there; near the store," RJ suggested as we practically sprinted to move farther away from the scene.

Melissa, on the other hand, ran with the intention of going back to their service vehicle. Cuts and bruises were now starting to show on her arm.

"I trust you have a fresh set of first aid kit in your pick-up?" I asked with concern.

"We do.  Thanks, you two," replied Melissa.

"That's good to hear. Take care, Melissa," RJ said politely.

"Are you alright?" RJ asked when the two of us were within considerable distance from the protest rally.

"Yes," I answered. "How about you?"

"I'm fine as well," he assured me.

We saw the two protesting groups scuffle with each other. Before it could turn into a full blown riot, the police had no choice but to fire tear gas to disperse the crowd.

We witnessed it all from where we stood.

Perhaps it was in combination of relief, adrenaline charge, and pent-up attraction that RJ and I turned to each other and suddenly locked ourselves in a tight embrace.

It was an assuring one, a kind of hug to convey that despite the chaos, everything was going to be fine in the world.    

A/N: Not based on any real life news event... just a product of my frolicky mind.  :)