Chapter 39- The Party

Three years later...

CONGRATULATIONS RJ AND MAINE!

This was the message on the banner installed on the inward side of our fence— to the area that leads to our house's patio and pool. The events planner, Miss Patty, had it customized by a graphic artist. The banner material was black and the message printed on it was in block letters in white. It stood out against the white fence, but complemented the rest of the black and white décor displayed all around our property.

A tent was installed in both the patio and pool. It was the end of May— still summer —but in this era of climate change, you never know when a torrential downpour might strike suddenly. In both tents, black and white swags hung around from the middle of the ceiling up to the posts then peppered with round paper lanterns of the same colors.

Mom insisted on hiring an events planner amidst mild protests from both RJ and I. But in the end, we were both glad because Ms. Patty worked wonders in our home to carry out the black and white themed party we suggested. "Bakit hindi black and yellow, parang favorite colors nyo?" This was the question raised by Yaya Pe in the middle of planning this party. She raised a valid point but black and white was much more apt for the occasion we were celebrating.

It was 7 p.m. and guests were starting to trickle in. Behind me, I felt his strong arms hug my waist. He proceeded to tighten his hold, turning it into a big, bear hug as I felt my feet get lifted a little from the ground. "I love the canapés. You mom always throws the best parties." RJ commented, then he planted a lingering kiss on the side of my head.

The menu that night was an extensive buffet of international fare. Apart from the appetizers, Mom chose to serve a wide variety of salads and cold plates, hot entrees, and desserts. Across this buffet was the bar station, with drinks that are alcoholic and non-alcoholic in nature. There is no program but Ethan is taking care of the party music by being the DJ for the night.

"Dance with me?" RJ asked.

"Hindi ba nakakahiya? 'Cause no one else is?" I asked apprehensively but already preparing to bust out some groovy dance moves.

"It's our party anyway. And everyone here is close to us," RJ reasoned out with a huge grin, flashing me his now signature deep dimple.

People were now pausing in their conversations to watch our exaggerated rhythmic movements in a corner of the patio. Neither of us cared, as we were having fun. RJ and I were dancing carefree, as we always do when we had a chance. As the song was about to fade, he spun me around and it ended up with me taking a backward dip in his arm.