Chapter 34- Countdown to the Comeback

A/N: First part is a tribute to the real M's recently released book. Print is alive and well, indeed!

Photo credits: jacket from decathlon,ph; necklace from silverfernz.com; bracelet from arikinz.com

Is print dead? In every corner of printing offices the world over, and especially in publication newsrooms, this is the point of contention.

Is print dead?

The discussion of the printed word's place amidst the strengthening digital technology rages on, not just among companies directly involved in it, but in the whole business community who, in one way or another, is affected by this quandary.

Sure, the ease and immediacy of breaking information on social media posts can't be beaten. But there is something so appealing about a print material that digital files can't overthrow or overtake.

In this age of fake news, the print media still reigns as authoritative and trustworthy. As one marketing company simply puts it, there is "a stronger emotional connection with the printed page" as readers don't just see the text but can almost feel each word come alive on every page.

In the same vein, has email really replaced the art of letter writing? It is fascinating how one writer has described the email as kind of like a telegram-- quick and efficient but not at all personal.

Writing a letter is so much more intimate than typing an email for both sender and recipient. In a letter, we can see the sender's handwriting, regardless if it's neat or otherwise. And with RJ's letters -- knowing that he held, folded, sealed, and mailed these papers off to me -– these thoughts bring a certain connection as I now grasp them in my hands. The physicality of it is something that an email correspondence can never, ever replicate. And years from now, no matter what happens, that connection will remain.

No, print is not dead. It has just evolved.

~~~~~

"Maine, delivery for you." It was my brother, Nico. He is holding a sizeable box while walking into the living room, where my friends and I are having our annual Christmas get-together.

"Galing dun sa taga Middle Earth."

"Very funny, Kuya."

"Totoo naman e. Tell me ladies, what first comes into your mind when you hear about New Zealand?" Kuya directed his question towards my friends. All four of them had a field day in answering his trivia question. It was as if my brother was going to give a prize to whoever gives the best response.

"Milk!"

"Cows."

"Apples. Kiwis."

"Nature. Lord of the Rings."

"My point exactly!" Kuya said, looking so amused with Emily's answer.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Ang ganda kaya dun!"

Kuya answered immediately. "Wala naman akong sinabi na hindi ah. I know it's a cool place to visit. Sagutin mo na kaya, then we can all fly there and they can tour us around."

"Nico! Anu yan pinagsasabi mo? Ikaw Menggay, ha. Pakilala mo muna sa akin yan. Kikilatisin ko muna," my mother said as she walked into the living room to serve us with a plate of nachos.

"Thank you po," the girls said in unison.

When Mom was out of earshot, the girls burst out laughing. I stuck my tongue out at my brother before he disappeared into the kitchen.