Epilogue

"Are you sure about this, Nicomaine?" Sir Andy asked straightaway as he set down the piece of paper I had just handed over. He scanned it and realized quickly what it was about. I, on the other hand, plopped down gently on the chair in front of his desk. Slowly, slowly. I reminded myself to take it easy with my movements.

"Yes." I had just tendered a resignation letter. Although I expressed my heartfelt regrets in the content, I left no explanation as to why I was leaving the company that has been my home in the last 11 years.

"May I ask why?" he asked with a tensed face, slouching back a little in his chair.

"There are two reasons. One of them is that I'm pregnant again... with twins."

"Congratulations!" Andy greeted in delight. "How many months along are you?"

"I'm just about to complete my third month. Just like when I was pregnant with Sieg, RJ and I decided to hold off the announcement until after my first trimester. So we are bound to share the news in a week or so."

"Yes, I'm aware of this protocol."

"This pregnancy is different since they are twins. It's more sensitive, of course."

My boss nodded perceptively. "Can the OB-GYN tell already if they are identical or fraternal?"

"We will know after the first trimester but we are betting they are identical. I'm unaware of any twins in the family tree. If there were, then it was undocumented. Or it could be some genetic throwback; we are unsure."

"Wait a minute. I thought it was identical twins that are based on genetics?" Sir Andy asked, truly perplexed.

"I had the same impression, but no. Embryo splitting is based on a random circumstance unlike with fraternal twins where the mother hyperovulates. I don't think I release more than one egg per cycle."

"Oh...kay! There's a bit too much information right there," Andy commented a bit uncomfortably.

"Hahaha! I thought so... information over-share! Moving on, I just want to be extra cautious too, considering what we went through with Siegfried...." When our first born was five months old, RJ noticed a swelling in his groin during a crying spell that did not go away even after he calmed down. It turned out he had inguinal hernia and his pediatrician recommended surgery at the soonest time practicable before it could lead to intestinal strangulation. Even if the prognosis was excellent, it was a nerve wracking event for first time parents like RJ and I.

"I understand. You mentioned another reason. What may this be?"

"RJ got awarded with a scholarship grant for Master of Laws. In Yale Law School."

"Like in Yale University? In the United States?" he emphasized, as if quite disbelieving of this piece of information.

"Yes, it's the university in Connecticut. It's a full merit scholarship."

"Can I just say wow!" My boss exclaimed, looking clearly amazed. "Wow!" he repeated, as if in awe. "I am beyond impressed!"

"Yes, it is quite a feat!" I concurred with a dreamy smile.

"Well, in that case, I understand fully well your need to resign. So all of you will be based in the United States for a few years?"

"For two years, then we will come back so RJ can fulfill his side of the scholarship requirements."