Reena - Pain

It's after seven when I finally get up, drenched in sweat and my stomach hurting. It's not anything alarming but still painful. I roll off the bed and finally move to see that I'm alone in the room, with as much effort as I can muster I get up and stand for a few seconds while the pain travels down to the bottom of my belly and stays there.

I try taking a few deep breaths hoping the pain will subside but it doesn't, so I make my way to the bathroom and step into the shower. As soon as the cold-water hits, I slide to the floor and let it wash over my belly. I'm like that for a long time until the pain starts to creep back and I start crying.

When I try to get up I find that I don't have the energy to and the tears come harder because now I'm getting frustrated and as a wave helplessness begins to set in. Another piercing pain runs across the bottom of my belly again and this time I scream. I lean my head against the wall and try thinking about anything else but the pain, but nothing seems to help.

Finally I hear the door and open my eyes to see Mrs. Max. When she sees me on the floor, wet and crying she slides the door open and turns off the shower.

"Reena, oh my God." She kneels down and sweeps the hair from my face, "Are you okay, is it the baby?"

I stare up at her with a pained expression and shake my head yes. "Pain's right here." I run my hand along the bottom of my belly and she steps in, and tries to help me up.

When she finally does, she gets me on the bed and starts drying me off. "Reena, why didn't you call for me?"

"I'm sorry, I thought it would stop." My voice is so low, I'm not sure she can hear what I'm saying.

After drying me off she rushes to the closet and takes out one of Reed's big shirts and basketball shorts. She helps me get dressed in them and tells me to wait, she's going to get her husband.

After a few minutes Mr. Max rushes in and begins fussing over me, "Is it contractions?"

"No," I say a little too quickly. "It's mainly discomfort, not that much pain. I just wish it would stop."

A tingling sensation runs from my back, through my butt and down into my thighs. "I really wish it would stop."

"Reena, are you sure you don't want to go to the doctor?" Reeds' father asks and I nod, yes.

"It'll stop soon."

"Well, I guess." His mom gets up off the bed but hovers beside me for a minute, so I give her a reassuring smile and she turns to her husband whose eyes are on my belly.

"Dad?" Reed comes into the room and when he sees me, he stops.

"I'm fine." I give him a small smile and I actually watch as he releases a breath.

Without another word, both parents leave and Reed comes closer, all the time he's giving me a worried look.

"Stop looking at me like I'm a delicate piece of glass." He frowns and I hold out my hands, but not before another pain that cause me to shut my eyes and grit my teeth.

When I open my eyes, he looks even more worried. "It's just a little pain. Remember the doctor said the closer I get to my due date, the more I'm to expect some pain and discomfort."

"Yeah, I know she said that but it's still hard to see you like this."

That makes me laugh, "What are you going to do then when I start feeling contractions?"

"Pray."

I give him a wide smile and he sits beside me, holds a hand and stares at it.

"I need to tell you something." He looks up and he looks serious.