Eternal Sleep

Song: Liability by Lorde

This song was requested by libjpp and I was having a lot of trouble coming up with an idea that would fit the song. It took me literally a few days to figure something out, but it finally happened! 

I loved the idea that popped up in my head and I truly hope I managed to display it in a proper and emotional way to you. It was very hard to put this into words that would evoke some kind of reaction, but after a lot of hard work, I hope I did just that. 

Thank you so much for reading and for 4K reads already on this silly book of mine! It seriously means the world and I cannot thank you all enough. I love you all and I hope you have a great day!

<♥>

One, two

A strangled yell echoed through the dark hospital. Sherlock was heaving, struggling to breathe as tears streamed down his face like a never-ending waterfall. His fists pounded on the sterile floor over and over again as he laid there, curled into a ball. Never had he experienced so much pain at once. Who knew mental pain could hurt so much more than any form of physical ache? 

He was suffocating, drowning in his own loss. Less than a week ago, his life was perfect. He was happy. Happier than he had ever been. But in a matter of three days, his entire existence was thrown off a cliff and his life changed rapidly and not for the better. 

He lost the love of his life, his beam of light in the night, his better half. You were gone and no one could change that. Not even the strongest force on Earth.

Your doctors had tried everything they could. They were the best of the best, Mycroft had made sure of it. But nothing could save you. The bullet had been fatal. You never stood a chance. It was all his fault. Moriarty. The consulting criminal had done the unthinkable and ruined his nemesis' life just for his own entertainment. Sherlock was heartbroken and there wasn't a glue strong enough to mend the shattered organ.

Sherlock's sobs reduced to silent tears and the occasional choke as he gasped for air. The stone cold floor felt like concrete against his body, but he didn't care. He didn't deserve to feel comfortable or warm. He was supposed to protect you and prevent you from getting hurt. But all it had taken was a simple piece of lead to crush his promise. 

It was never supposed to go like this. He was supposed to propose to you on your anniversary. He was meant to marry you and dance to a song he wrote just for you. You could have gotten pregnant and you could've been a family. You could've had it all. Sherlock was prepared to do anything for you in order to make your life perfect. And it was! It truly was perfect. But nothing lasts forever, it just can't. 

You had to go, you were needed somewhere, so you were taken away from your life, from Sherlock. Space was needed for someone else and you couldn't stay.

Silent footsteps were heard through Sherlock's sobs, accompanied by the soft ticking of an umbrella against the floor. His older brother lowered himself to his knees, resting his hand on the younger Holmes' shoulder. ''It's time to go home, brother mine,'' he whispered, gently rubbing the fabric of Sherlock's coat.

''No,'' he croaked. 

''Sherlock, you can't stay here. They took (Y/N) down to the morgue already. There's nothing here for you, no reason to stay. Just come with me, little brother. You need to go home.''