Hurt Me If You're There

The lovely 67DeanWinchester brought this soulmate AU to my attention and I instantly loved it. My mind raced with all kinds of ideas for a possible oneshot, and what you will be reading is the end result.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing this, and thank you for your support. Nearly 23K! I can hardly believe it, but thank you so much :)

In this AU, soulmates can feel and see the injuries of one another on their own skin. If one, for example, burns themselves, the other will automatically get the same injury and pain.

Trigger Warning: Self-harm is mentioned

<♥>

John sipped his tea and hissed in pain. ''Oh, that's still hot,'' he complained, breathing in deeply to cool his tongue with air. ''Mary is not going to be happy about that one. I really should be more careful now that I have a soulmate out there for me.'' 

Sherlock took a sip, as well. ''Don't have that problem,'' he said calmly, staring at the floor absentmindedly. 

John stared sympathetically at his friend. ''Don't worry, mate, there must be someone out there for you. I'm sure of it.'' 

''I don't need your sympathy, John, and I most certainly don't need a soulmate.'' 

''Come on, don't tell me you don't fancy the idea of having someone who's meant to be with you for eternity.'' 

Sherlock scoffed and placed his tea on the table as he got up and walked to the kitchen. ''Love is simply a chemical defect found on the losing side.'' 

''You say that now, but—'' 

''John, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. There is no 'soulmate' out there for me, so stop whining about it,'' Sherlock interrupted. He sat down behind his microscope and looked through the lens at the bacteria forming in his latest experiment. 

''You're insufferable sometimes, Sherlock.'' John sighed. ''Just keep an open mind, okay? Perhaps your perspective will change over time.'' 

''I don't think it will.'' His tone was harsh and John knew there was no talking with the detective today. 

''I'll be at Mary's if you need me.'' 

The door slammed shut and Sherlock briefly closed his eyes, leaning back in his chair. He stared at the ceiling, an aching feeling rising in his chest. 

John was right, and the detective knew it. 

His entire life- like any other –had revolved around this concept everyone called soulmates. Sherlock was raised that way, just like the rest of the world. Somewhere out there in the huge ocean of people was that one special someone who would complete him. 

Everyone had a soulmate, they said. 

Parents taught their children like they had been taught when they were young that when fate decided you were ready for it, your soulmate would come into your life. 

It all started with wounds, which sounded very ominous, but that wasn't completely true. It was the first step to creating a bond between two people. The same injuries, the same pain, the same scars. Soulmates shared that. It brought them closer together and helped one understand the other. It was life's way of uniting people and keeping them that way. 

That was just how it was supposed to be. 

And like every child, Sherlock grew up believing those words were true. But as he got older, doubts began to form.