Chapter 42

For the first couple of days, they only exchanged a few words if it was necessary. Luke supervised as Shelby baited her hook the way he showed her and cast it out onto the water. Once both lures were floating in the water, the two sat in silence.

Luke couldn't keep his mind off what happened. It had to be extremely terrifying to be involved in an accident. For both of them. He couldn't help beat himself up for allowing it. He was the one pushing them together. Luke thought for sure Rory could help Jess. Instead, it drove Jess away and caused him and Lorelai to be in a fight. The things he said alone bothered him, though he wasn't too thrilled about what she said to him. They were both upset. Honestly, who knows how he would react if it had been Shelby in Rory's position. Possibly he could have felt the same way if roles were reversed. If it had been both Jess and Shelby in an accident, Luke would have wanted to make sure both of them were okay, and he really was very glad Rory was okay too. He didn't know what he would have done if one or both of them came out worse. In fact, the guy had been going a little overboard, making sure Shelby had her seatbelt fastened before Luke even started the truck whenever they went anywhere.

As Luke let out a breath of air, he felt a hand on his arm. He looked down to see those eyes of his looking back at him and couldn't help smile. Leaning over, Luke touched his forehead to hers before leaning back. Shelby smiled a little for him. She leaned over and rested her head against his side while holding onto her small fishing pole, finally getting to use it. And it only took five months.

With everything that happened, he was glad the most important person in his life wasn't upset with him, and at the moment, nothing else mattered. Despite his disgust on sitting on the ground, Luke and Shelby ended up propped up against the log they were sitting on, sticking their fishing poles into the ground. So far, no fish seem to be biting, so basically they just laid there, listening to the sounds of the lake and its surroundings.

With no words or any kind of conversation, Luke and Shelby just laid there, enjoying each other's company. Eventually, Shelby drifted off to sleep sometime in the early afternoon. Her head dropped limp against his arm, getting his attention.

Since it was nice out without that much sun, Luke joined her. He closed his eyes until finally sleep overcame him. They woke up two hours later by some raindrops dropping on their faces. Luke opened his eyes first, hoping that was rain and not anything dropped by a bird. Sure enough, a spring shower started pouring, forcing the two to move things inside their tent until it was over.

While they listened to the rain, Luke got out his guitar to give Shelby another lesson, this time letting her have a go on her own. Compared to her size, the guitar practically overshadowed the kid. Shelby's right arm barely reached over the top to reach the strings. It was still enough for the kid to play, though.

"Yeah, that's it," he praised when Shelby strummed the right notes Luke was teaching her. They worked on Shelby getting Mary had a Little Lamb down, another easy song for beginners to learn. All that occupied their minds at the moment was music notes and lambs for about over an hour until she had it down and playing the song on her own. "You're gonna be the next Reba McEntire, kiddo." Shelby smiled at that since Reba was still a favorite of hers.

Eventually, Shelby wanted Luke to play something, choosing Life's a Dance first, singing it together as Luke strummed on his guitar. Luke had to admit, the song was fitting. It was surely a hard lesson to learn, one he hoped never had to learn again.

The next one Shelby sang on her own was One Voice, one of Billy Gilman's songs. That one worked for her vocals, Luke thought as he listened, strumming along as she sang the words. One could tell Shelby really sang it from the heart, putting all she had into it. Miss Patty couldn't be any more right when she said the kid had talent.