24. [➳i just don't want to miss you tonight...]

[Brielle]

"Okay, mom brought two dresses for you. One is kind of a champagne color with blue ornaments and the other one is kind of a soft mocha color. Which one do you want to wear tonight?" Izzy asked me as she held up the two dresses, one on each hand. I sighed.

"I'm not much of a dress girl, but I think I'll go with the champagne one." I said as I looked at them both. For some reason, I had a weird feeling in my chest and I couldn't shake it off. Izzy approached me and gently touched my shoulder.

"I know you must be nervous, but don't worry. Everything will turn out just fine you'll see. And I'm going to make sure that you'll be the most beautiful girl at that party..." She made a brief pause. "Besides me of course." She finished and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I knew you were going to say something like that. You are so predictable." I said as I rolled my eyes playfully. She smiled.

"Or you just know me too well." She said and I returned her the smile.

"I think it's a little bit of both." I smiled. "I forgot to ask you, who is your date for tonight?"

"Oh, I was going to ask Meliorn but my parents made it very clear that they didn't want any downworlders." She said and I widened my eyes.

"But Simon is a downworlder." I said and she shook her head slightly.

"Don't worry about that. I convinced them for Simon to be the only one. They didn't agree until I told them he was your date." She explained and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Why until then?" I asked confused. She looked at me and gave me a playful smile.

"My parents, well especifically my mother, might be strict and uptight, but they are not stupid. They know what's up between you and Alec. So that's why they were happy to see you were bringing a date."

"But Simon is my best friend."

"Still, they were happy. Don't give it too much thought or you'll stress yourself. I have to go and talk to Alec about some arrengements for tonight. I'll see you later." Izzy said as she gave me a quick hug.

"See you later." I said as I gave her a small smile and she walked out of the room.

~~~

[Izzy]

I was walking through the institute looking for Alec. I finally found him at the center of it. He was talking a girl that was holding to types of fabric with patterns. I had never seen her before. She was probably one of Lydia's helpers. I guessed they were for the tableclothes they were going to use for the party tonight. He was looking directly at the clothes, clearly not knowing which one to choose.

"That one." I said as I  pointed to the one who was beige color with a beautiful pattern and I stood next to Alec. The girl just nodded and walked away.

"Thank you. I had no idea which one to choose. She was giving me a whole speech about how everything had to combine. I don't know anything about this kind of things." He said with a kind of tiredness that I've never heard him speak with.

"Don't mention it. I knew you were troubled so I came to your rescue. How are you filling?" I asked as I looked directly at him. He closed his eyes for a moment and let out a long sigh.

"Like I'm going to throw up. And I probably will. This whole party and wedding are becoming mlre of a headache than I planned." He said as he ran his hand through his hair.