Chapter 6 - Dream or reality?

"Thanks," I said as Aiden held the car door open for me.

I watched as he walked around to the drivers side with a permanent smile spread across his face. As he opened the car door, I wanted to know why.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked.

"Oh nothing," he replied as he started up the engine.

"Aiden Daniels, how long have you known me for?"

"A hell of a long time," he replied, keeping his eyes on the road but smiling at all times.

"Ok and in that 'hell of long time', have you not yet realised that an answer like that won't suffice?"

He let out a small laugh but continued to keep his eyes fixated on the road ahead.

"Exactly. So once again, what are you smiling at?" I asked, now with a smile on my face too.

"Well, I won charades, didn't I," he said as he burst out laughing.

"Oh my gosh, you're still happy about that? You just got lucky," I replied as I kept my eyes on him.

"I don't get lucky, I told you," he said as he threw me another smile.

"Yeah ok," I replied sarcastically.

"Yeah, yeah don't hate the player, hate the game, now put your seatbelt on," he said with a big grin, plastered across his not so modest face.

"Yes mom," I replied before clipping myself in.

"So, you seem happier than you did last night," he said, suddenly sounding more serious.

"Yeah, being around my family kind of helps to forget about Kyle, you know?"

"Yeah, I think I understand".

"Thanks" I said as I turned to look out of the window.

"For what?" He asked in a surprised tone.

"Just, you know, being there. First Kyle then today with Gramps, I'm just grateful," I replied.

"April, I will always help you," he replied in a serious tone.

"Even if it meant going against Sally?" I said laughing.

"Yes," he replied as he kept a straight face and looked ahead.

I was shocked, I hadn't expected that response. When I realised that I was laughing alone, I quickly stopped making noise. I had butterflies in my stomach, although I didn't understand why.

"Aiden?" I began.

Unfortunately the vibration of my phone interrupted what I was about to say.

"Sorry," I said as I took my it out of my bag and looked at the screen.

It was a text message from a number that wasn't stored in my contacts. I would love to say that I didn't know who it was but unfortunately, I knew Kyle's number off by heart.

"Great," I mumbled as I proceeded to open the message.

"Everything ok?" Aiden asked.

"Yeah," I lied.

I flicked my eyes back to the screen and read the message.

I need to see you. Can we meet tonight?

Had he completely lost his mind! What the hell was this, some sort of joke.

Aiden must have sensed the shocked expression on my face as he glanced over at me.