Chapter 26 - The story of the past

The song is finally up!! Thanks for all the people who reminded me but I still don't know who the original people that told me it were so I dedicate it to all my lovely PRETEND readers --------------->

Chapter 26 - The story of the past

"I don't understand why is he here?" Crystal asked as she looked at me with a confused face.

"I don't know," I answered in a quiet voice.

I had no idea why he was back, how he found me or what was left to say but I knew one thing and that was that I needed to know.

"Hey, where are you going?" Crystal asked as she raced behind me.

"To find out".

"You're going to meet him?" She said in a shocked tone.

"Yes, I have to know, I need to understand," I said in a sad voice.

"I get it. Do you want me to come with you?"

"No I'll be ok. I'll see you at home".

"Ok but you call me if you need anything, right?"

"I will," I said before giving Crystal a hug and heading towards the fountain.

I always loved sitting by the fountain and watching how the water feeds its way back through in such a synchronised fashion. I loved the fact that you could see right to the bottom where passersby had thrown their dimes and quarters in. I always loved going to see the fountain, except today.

The journey seemed much longer than it actually was, I felt as though I was walking the green mile and in some ways I was.

It was when I finally got there and seen his face that the reality really kicked in. I stood frozen for a minute as I took in every inch of his features. I looked at the way that his dirty blonde hair sat neatly above his eyebrows. I watched as his hazel eyes pierced through mine as though he had just found something that he had been looking for forever, as though I were a rare jewel or diamond. I examined his neatly pressed suit and the way that it fit his body to perfection as though it were made to fit only him alone. I even took note of the fact that his shoes were so shiny that the reflection of the fountain was visible in them. Most importantly I realised that I had never forgotten his face, his crooked jaw line and perfectly pointy nose. I remembered it all as though it was just yesterday that I had seen it. The scariest part was that looking at him reminded me so much of looking at me.

"April?" He asked as he approached me slowly.

I nodded my head but didn't dare say a word, not that I could find any to say, anyway.

"I'm grateful that you came-"

"I didn't do it for you," I said in a stern voice as I looked into his eyes.

"Did you want to maybe grab a drink so that we could talk?" He asked politely as though he were talking to someone that he had just met for the first time.

"No, we can talk here, it shouldn't take long," I replied.

It was amazing that after nine years, so much anger and hurt could still live within me.

"Look Appy-"

"No one calls me that anymore, I'm not seven years old Ed," I interrupted.

"Of course, I'm sorry," he said with a sad face.

I almost felt sorry for him...Almost.

"Look, why are you here? Why now?" I asked as I stared into his face.