Chapter 11 - I hate surprises!

"Why are you just standing there?" Crystal asked as she walked down the stairs, towards me.

"Erm...I was just going to get a drink," I lied.

"Oh, why didn't you ask Aiden? Or was he too lazy to do it!" She shouted, loud enough for him to hear.

I don't know why but Crystal and Aiden didn't seem to be getting on as well as they usually did for some reason.

"Come on, I'll get you one," she said as she headed towards the kitchen.

"Yeah, thanks," I said as I followed her.

"So, what do you want?"

"Huh?" I asked, feeling rather confused.

"To drink?" Crystal asked impatiently. I see that she was back to her old, lovely self.

"Oh, just water please," I replied.

She handed me the glass of water and then sat on the stool, facing me. As I took a sip of my drink, I suddenly realised the glint in her eyes as she continued to stare at me.

"What?" I said with a confused expression on my face.

"I don't know, something's different," she said with a smirk on her face.

"How do you mean?" I asked, feeling rather self conscious.

"Ok, well since we made up earlier, I haven't once heard you talk about Kyle," she said as her smile grew.

"Isn't that a good thing?" I asked.

"Of course. I mean, I feel sorry for him and all but he's still a jerk," she said.

"Ok, so where exactly are you going with all of this," I asked, feeling a little frustrated and curious.

"Well, I know you and something's changed. You seem to be moving on from Kyle which can only mean one thing, there's someone else," she exclaimed.

Oh, she thinks I like Jake.

"And it's not Jake," she continued.

Wrong.

"What do you mean?" I asked as I felt my cheeks begin to heat up.

"Well, I know that something's distracting your feelings towards Kyle but I can also see that you don't like Jake enough for it to be him. So that leaves me wondering, who?" She said now raising one eyebrow at me.

Ok, so now I get how it feels on those TV shows, when a criminal is under interrogation. I had no idea that this was coming or that it was coming my way, more importantly. I hadn't noticed that Crystal had been watching me so much lately.

What had she seen?

What did she suspect?

If she knew anything about Aiden, surely she would go mad, wouldn't she? Or would she just do what she's doing now, force me to confess. Maybe I should, maybe I should just confess. Maybe that's why she was doing this, to test me.

"So?" She said, peering into my eyes.

"Erm...I...erm..." I began to stumble, I couldn't lie, I was nervous.

"Look, Crystal...I'm sorry. It's Aiden," I said.

What the hell did I just do!

Why did I just say that?

I wanted to cover my mouth but it was too late, the words were out.

How was I going to explain this?