Nineteen.

The ringtone of  Sema's iPhone heavily banged against in her eardrum, causing her to stir from her sound sleep. A frown broke out on her face, agitated that somebody was waking her up. Not even opening her eyes, she reached over to the nightstand and patted around for her phone. Feeling it under her hand, she grabbed it and pressed the green button.

"Hello," she answered groggily.

"Hey big sister. Happy New Year's Eve!" Her sister, Aeris' voice rang in her ear.

"Aeris?" Sema's face became even more contorted. The last time they had spoken, the conversation had not gone well, so I why was she calling her?

"Well, you don't have any other little sisters," Aeris joked, chuckling after. Sema didn't find anything funny though.

"What Aeris?" Sema was annoyed at this point.

Aeris sucked her teeth. "Man, Sema, why do you have to answer me like that? What's all the attitude for? I don't have an attitude with you." Sema rolled her already closed eyes, and draped a hand over her face.

"Hm, lets see. How about it's the fact that you keep saying insulting, out of pocket ass shit and coming back trying to 'kiki' with me like you haven't done anything. Let's start with that."

"Come on, Sem. You know half the time I just spit out whatever comes up. And you said some really hurtful stuff too. Don't be like that."

"I'm not being like anything, Aeris. I'm being real. You do and say fucked up shit about people I care about, then act like you didn't and we're the closest of sisters. But you did, and we're not—we've never been."

"Whatever, Sema. I didn't call to argue with you. I wanted to share some news with you."

"What is it Aeris? You're gonna tell me some more false news about Muslim customs? I'm really not in the mood."

"No, it's actually something about me."

"Okay well...I'm waiting," Sema subtly rushed her. She was getting impatient, and just wanted the phone-call to be over.

"Okay so....I'm pregnant!" Aeris announced. Sema just rolled her eyes.

"Oh? That's good for you," Sema told him, sounding less than excited.

"See this is what I mean!" Aeris snapped. You can never be happy for me!"

"Don't do that Aeris. The first time you got pregnant, I was happy for you. The second time, I was still happy for you. At this point, it's played out, babygirl. You call me, excited for a baby that you're probably not gonna even keep?! You always do this! And as soon as you get mad the baby's father, you're all of a sudden not ready for a child and wanna abort. They should abort your damn rights to abort."

"Wow. I really see how it is now. That menace of a man really got your head messed up, Sem."

"You're the one with the messed up head, Aeris. And I won't be having this conversation again with you, going into the new year. Good day," Sema told her, hanging up the phone.

She wasn't about to keep this thing up with Aeris. If she wanted to continue to be dumb and say ignorant stuff, then she was going to cut her ties with her, sister or not.

Sema unlocked her phone, seeing she had some unread messages. Clicking on them, she saw she had messages from Taia, Aja, and others that she rarely even responded to.