1.9: In Which She Recovers

"Are you covering them?"

     "Yes," 254 sighs, facing the wall with his eyes closed and hands over his ears.

     "Then how did you just hear what I asked you?"

     Because I have bat-like hearing and I doubt even ear-plugs can stop it.

     He doesn't say that.

     "Christ," he mutters. "You really think I'm doin' it on purpose so I can hear you piss?"

     "No-no! I just – I'm embarrassed, okay?!"

     He missed living alone already.

     It was so much easier.

     254 raises his hands in frustration. "What'd you want from me, baby? Tell me what will make you feel better an I'll do it," he offers agitatedly.

     The Beast growls in warning.

     Oh shut it. I didn't even swear at her.

     The rumble persists and 254 rolls his eyes knowingly.

     It wasn't what he said – it's how he said it.

     Whatever, big guy. She knows I don't mean it like that.

     ...You oversensitive bastard.

     "I don't know!" She sounds distressed.

     There's a urgent nudge inside of him, telling him to fix her.

     He's about to respond with if you have any ideas then I'm all ears when suddenly one occurs to him.

     "How about we go at the same time?" He suggests.

     They still had separate toilets. They didn't remove them along with the wall.  

     It's quiet as she ponders the idea.

     "Yeah, yeah, okay. I think that'll help," she eventually decides. "But you go first."

     He bites back a sarcastic of course, Princess, and heads over to the toilet which sat at the end of his bed. He unzips and the nerves only get to him for a brief moment before he's going.

     He hums while he does it, not to mask the sound of his piss hitting the water in the loo but to help block out the sounds of her going. It didn't bother him – didn't understand why it bothered her so damn much – he only did it out of respect for her.

     They finish and he heads over to his bed while she goes to her sink.

     "Uhhh, aren't you going to wash your hands?" She tries to mask the judgement in her voice but he hears it.

     254 heaves a sigh, stops and changes direction. "Yes, dear."

     He washes and dries his hands. By the time he reaches his bed she's already on hers. And yep – her cheeks are definitely a light pink. She wasn't lying when she said she found it embarrassing.

     He softens slightly.

     Aw, bless her heart.

     Briefly, he wonders how the hell she's going to cope taking a shit in front of him. It's not like he can squeeze one out on command to make her feel better.

     He snorts at the visual and she looks at him questioningly.

     He considers repeating his thoughts to her but doubts she'd find it very funny so decides to keep it to himself. "Just remembered Archelm's face when I punched him," he goes with instead. 

     "Ah, okay."

     "How's your shoulder doing?" They'd dropped off two pills along with their breakfast this morning.

     "Better now," she sighs. "I just wish the meds didn't make me feel so..." She sticks out her tongue and crosses her eyes dramatically.

     He snorts. "Better to feel like that than in pain, I guess."

     "Oh, definitely," she agrees eagerly. It's quiet for a moment, her laying back on her bed, arm-in-sling resting against her front, and gaze on the ceiling. He's definitely not watching her out of the corner of his eye. "I think I used to like to read," she muses suddenly.

     He quirks an eyebrow at the random statement, head resting against his arms on the pillow. "Yeah?"

     "Yeah," she says sounding more confident about her revelation. "'Cause I think a lot. Create silly little stories in my head when I'm trying to sleep, or in the showers."

     He smiles briefly. "Like what?"

     She grins at the ceiling. "Different things. Some of them are like fairy tales; dragons and magic. Prince and Princess kinda thing. Others are darker – Superhuman's taking out companies for experimenting and torturing...sound familiar?" She says dryly. "Some are more...romantic," she releases a giggle. "I won't tell you about those ones."

     He barks a laugh at the last one. "Yeah, baby? They dirty?"

     "Super dirty," she nods and they share a chuckle but he knows that she must have been joking considering he would have been able to smell the arousal on her had she been thinking those kind of thoughts.

     "Here." He reaches under his bed and pulls out one of the books they'd been kind enough to provide him with. "It's not great but it passes the time." He throws and it lands on the bottom of her bed.

     Her eyes light up and his inside don't twist at the sight.

     Honestly, they don't.

     ...Fuck.

     How does one convince them-self of a lie?

     "That's great. Thank you," she says almost shyly, pushing herself up using one arm and reaching for the book. She reads the back of it. "You're right, it doesn't sound that good." Her nose scrunches up before she shrugs her non-injuried shoulder. "But oh well. It'll do. I'll start on it tonight."

     He makes a small noise in response. The Beast is purring in approval, glad to have made the female happy and 254 rolls his eyes.

     He doubts he'll ever get used to The Beast being so damn soppy.

      Heat flushes through him, settling in his lower stomach and 254 wants to groan. It's obvious to him what The Beast is trying to say – you'll see how soppy I am when I'm pounding into her sweet little pussy.

     No, he grits out. You're not touching her.

     She was too good to be handled by someone so brutal.

     Of course, that didn't mean 254 couldn't touch her...as long as he stayed buried where he belonged.

     The Beast bares his teeth. Try and stop me.

     You'd wreck her – s'that what you want?  254 argues.

     The Beast rumbles happily. She'd love every second.