1.32: In Which He Comes For Her

"Why the hell would you help us?" 254 wants to know. "What the fuck do you get out of this?"

     "Nothing," James shrugs. "I've done alot of bad shit and it's... Time to do the right thing now that I can."

     A alarm goes off overhead. "What's that?" 254 asks.

     "There's some people who are helping me pull this off," James informs him. "They're old friends of yours, actually."

     "What?" his eyes widen at that.

     "I don't know too much. Just that they wanted you free."

     "And you're willing to help with that?" 254 finds it hard to believe. "My girl told me you did what they wanted because they'd hurt your mother. What's changed?"

     James' nostril flare and he blinks at the floor. "My ma passed away. And with her, their leverage over me." He glances to the door. "We should get going. The others will need help." He goes to leave.

    Too shocked to argue, 254 follows him.

     It was time to go find his girl.

     - -

     "There's more you should know," James pants as he watches 254 lower the now-dead guards body to the floor.

     With the alarms sounding, the staff were in panic mode and seemed to be working on 'shoot first, ask questions later'. So far 254 had killed two of them.

     He hoped with everything in him that 391 was still in her cell; safe.

     "Yeah?"

     James nods and they continue down the hall. "I'm a spy for Eclipse. They're the ones who were threatening my mother. They wanted me to infiltrate this lab and sabotage their serums. Weaken them."

    "Eclipse?" 254 shakes his head. All this was so much to take in. "S'that why there's only me and 391?"

     "On paper they're known as The Laboratory Of The Documentation Of Biology. To those who know better...they're Eclipse. And yes. You... Got very lucky. I mixed your serum with the one they gave me as usual and instead of poisoning you and killing you like the others.... Your body accepted it."

     "And 391?"

     James gave a breathy laugh. "Believe it or not I booked the day off to take my Ma to her hospital appointment."

     "Well, shit." The idea that she wouldn't be here if James hadn't taken the day off made something inside of him clench. He suddenly had the urge to punch the man who could have killed the love of his life.

     The Beast wanted his blood, too.

     But they couldn't kill him, could they? James was helping them.

     "This way," he turns at the next corner.

     254's heart skips a beat. He was getting closer to 391. He could sense it.

     - -

     "What!?" 81 exclaims. "Have you lost your mind?!"

     "I'm the crazy one? You're the one who wants to stay here!" 391 argues. She throws her hands towards the door. "There's no one there. There's an alarm. Maybe that guard did something and while they're distracted we can escape!"

     His nostrils flare with every breath. "Love, I can't be trusted around you when I'm like this."

     She pauses. Visions them roaming the halls and then the gas takes full effect, and suddenly 81 is forcefully taking her against the wall. Not good. "I can't... I can't not." she chokes up. "What if this is my last chance to see 254?"

     What if she can find him and they can leave this place? 

     How was she supposed to sit in her cell, waiting for the alarms to stop and door to seel again when she could be free?

     She takes a deep breath. Her body ached to be filled and it was almost impossible to concentrate. "I need to try."

    He nods and swallows. "I can't come with you, love, not like this."

    She knows - can't risk him trying to stop and fuck her while she's searching for 254. "I know." She bits down on her lip, hard. Shit. How was she just supposed to leave him here? "We'll come back," the promise sounds weak.

     "Yeah." He gives her a smile. "I know you will." It's a lie. Neither of them know if she can come back for him. "Go get your man."

     Her eyes prick with tears. "Thank you, 81...If I had to do this with anyone other than 254...im glad it was you."

     His lips curl higher, smile looking more genuine. "Likewise, love, now go."

     She does.

     - -

     Despite being marched down the halls more than once, 391 had no idea where she was going.

     All the walls looked the same. There was no distinguished markings, or pictures, or arrows which told her 254 is this way!

     She didn't know if she should call for him or not. The only thing she was sure about, was not to head toward the sound of screaming.

     "Come on, handsome..." she murmurs to herself, taking another corner. Again, she recognised. The shrilling alarm didn't help much either.

    ... Neither did the sweat on her skin, or the dampness in her panties.

    At this point, she wouldn't be surprised if the first thing she did was jump on his dick.

     "Fuck this," she whispered to herself. She must have been walking for twenty minutes now. "254!" she shouts.

     She didn't expect to get an response. So when she hears his muffled voice, she almost falls over. "Baby?!"

    "Oh my god!" she exclaims on disbelief, heading towards the sound. "I'm coming! Where are-" The butt of a gun hits her stomach as the rounds the corner and she grunts.

    Winded, and in pain, she stumbles backwards, landing on her ass with a whimper. The fog in her head made it hard for her to understand what just happened.

     "Hands on your head," a man in a fire-proof uniform ordered her. It was silver, reminding her of tin, and a black slit sat where he eyes were, the rest of his head and shoulders hidden by a helmet of some sort. Not that it mattered. She'd long figured out that the gas made it impossible for her to use her ability whilst under it's influence. 

    She blinks, his words taking a moment to register. The pain in her stomach turns into an horrendous ache and she struggled to catch her breath but slowly manages to do what he wants.

     "Good. Now stand up and-" a long, serrated blade penetrates his chest from behind, his words trailing off into a gurgle. He drops the gun, falling to his knees, gasping. The machete twists, shredding his heart, and the man takes his final breath. 

     Behind him stands 254, machete in hand, and covered in blood with The Beast flickering in his eyes.

     She can't hold in her tears. Call her a cry baby or a pussy but there was no way she was able to hold it together. Her man was there, in front of her, saving her and looking as handsome as ever. "254," she whimpers pathetically. "You came for me."

    His lips curl and there's a dampness in his eyes as he falls to his knees in front of her, ignoring the puddle of blood seeping into his trousers. He cups her cheek. "Promised I would," he murmurs hoarsely.

    She throws herself foward into his arms.