1.25: In which She Meets 81

"Sparring with you." 254 brushes her hair over her shoulder before laying open-mouthed kisses to her neck. "Should come with a warning sign."

     She laughs under her breath, eyes closed, leaning  back against him. "Yeah? What would it say?" They were back in their room, still wearing their workout clothes.

     "Warning: You will get a boner."

     391 giggles, turning around so her chest brushes his. "You're ridiculous. And cute."

     He scoffs, looking offended. "Cute? I'm not cute. I'm scary and manly. And an animal. Literally," he adds as an afterthought.

     She hums in agreement, because it was true, but she still found him cute regardless. "How is he today?"

     "Annoying."

     She scrunches up her nose. "Why?"

     "Because," he digs his fingers into her waist – the spot he knows she finds ticklish. She squeaks, shoving his hands away. "A pretty girl keeps on giving him too much attention."

     She grins, feeling warm inside. "He likes it, yeah?"

     "Too much," 254 grumbles. "He used to be so bad-ass. Now he's like a freakin' puppy."

     She feels like she could burst. "God, I love him so much. He's cuter than you, if that's possible. I could squeeze him." she says without realising.

     "Hey," 254 frowns, pulling her hips towards his. "What about me?" He pouts.

     Her breath hitches. The air suddenly gets much thicker. "254-" she licks her lips. Could she really say it? She knew it would be true. "I lov-"

     The door opens and they both freeze, turning their head towards the new-comer. Mentally, 254 scolds himself – he'd been too caught up in her to hear their approach.

     It was the pervy guard.

     "What do you want?" 254 asks harshly. His heart was still pounding from her almost-confession. Was she really going to say it? He pulls her closer.

     "We need 391." His expression his grim and it puts 254 on guard. What could be so bad that even Mr.Pervy looked sickened?

     "Why?" 254 bit out.

     Pervy purses his lips and looks away. "I can't tell you. I need her to come with me."

     "Like hell," 254 growls.

     391 recognises the slight change in his voice and turns back to him. "Shh, honey, it's okay." Just as she thought – it was The Beast.

     254's eyes flickered between human and animal. He holds her protectively to him, not removing his gaze from the guard. "If you're taking her, I'm going with." 254 was the one talking, but 391 knew The Beast was close to the surface.

     Frank steps into view. He must have been standing around the corner the whole time. "I'm afraid you can't do that, 254."

     "Frank," The Beast snarls.

     "Are you going to let her come willingly or make this difficult?"

     "I'm coming back, right?" 391 interrupts, fearfully. This wouldn't be the last time she saw 254, would it?

     "Yes," is Frank's simple response. His eye twitches.

     She nods. "Then I'll go."

     "No." 254 holds her firmly.

     "Please," she whispers to him. "I don't want them to hurt you."

     His jaw tightens, eyes human. "And you think I want them to hurt you?"

     "This is taking to long," Frank says, annoyed. "Seal the door and gas it." 

     Before 254 can move, the door slides shut. "No!" 254 shouts, rushing over and trying to pry it open.

     He couldn't explain it but he had a bad feeling, like a void in his gut. Every inch of him was screaming to keep her safe; not let them take her because this time, he might not get her back.

     A hiss sounds, followed by gas spraying from the corners of the room. 254 takes her back into his arms and lowers them to the ground, chest heaving.

     "No matter what happens, I'ma come for you, okay?" he tells her, holding her close and gripping her chin. "Okay?"  he presses when she doesn't respond.

     She nods, blinking back tears. She was terrified. What was happening? Was she going to see him again? The thought made her sick. "I'll be okay," she lies. Didn't want him to worry so much about her. He needed to worry about himself.

     He gives her a wobbly smile. "You're so fucking strong, baby. It's one of the things I love about you." He kisses her fiercely, the gas pooling by their heads. "This isn't the end of us, yeah?"

     She nods firmly. "This isn't the end." Her nostrils burn on her next inhale, head going woozy. "I love you," she cries.

     His smile is radiant despite the tear leaking down his cheek. "I love you too, baby. More than god-damn anything."

     They lean heavily onto each other as the gas takes effect.

     And then it's over.

     –

     When 391 wakes up, her head has that familiar cotton-wool feeling.

     She blinks. 

     And blinks again.

     She's on a bed. Similar to the one in her cell.

     Hope fills her. Was she home? Was it over and they'd returned her?

     Through her fuzzy vision, she sees a figure across the room, shifting off the other bed and standing up.

     Her heart jumps.

     254?

    "No, sorry, love," a unfamiliar voice responds. Had she said that out-loud? He kneels next to her bed. "I'm not your old cell mate. How're you feeling?"

     She blinks again, vision clearing. Blonde hair, blue eyes and a sad smile greet her.

     Not 254.

     "Who?" She manages, throat irritated.

     "Oh! Right. Sorry. I have better manners than this. Promise," he chuckles sheepishly, scratching at his blonde curls. "I'm Subject 81...Your new cell-mate and breeding partner. Nice to meet'cha, love."