1.30: In Which There's An Explosion

Sweat pools on the back of her neck and she sighs, reaching behind her and tying her hair into a high ponytail.

     They'd gassed the room an hour ago. Neither 81 or 391 had the energy to moan or kick up a fuss like last time.

     Both of them felt defeated. They had no say in what was happening to them, nor could they stop it. So instead of tiring themselves, they just watched as it clouded above their heads before entering their lungs.

      "I never asked," 391 closes her eyes, fanning herself with a tatty old book. "How long have you been breeding women for?"

     His eyes downcast at the pillow on his lap, hiding his erection. They both knew it was there, they just didn't want to acknowledge it yet. "I was 16 when they realised I had an above average sperm count."

     Her eyes fly open and her hand freezes. "16?...oh my god, 81."

     He shrugs like its no big deal while his Adams apple bobs. "They wanted this woman to get pregnant. Subject 19. She was older. Nearing the end of her fertile years. She had telekinesis and at that point, they'd never managed to replicate it. So they figured the best bet would be for her to pass it along through her genes. However, they needed to do it it fast before she entered the menopause."

     391 listens to him speak, feeling horrified for him.

    "So they tested everyone, including me. I came out on top and got her pregnant first try."

     Her mind reeled, and she was ashamed to say panic was the first place she went to - he'd gotten a fifty odd year old woman pregnant straight away, and yet here 391 was, still not with child.

     What was wrong with her?

     Did her ovaries not work properly?

     Anxiety bubbles in her belly and she forces herself to breathe. This was not the issue right now. She needed to focus. "You... You've been with them since you were a kid?" she questions, clearing her throat.

     He gives her a sad smile. "Longer than that, love. I was the first baby to be born to two Subject parents. It's... Kind of what gave them the idea to bred us, when my parents had an affair without them knowing and my mother fell pregnant."

     "Oh. Wow." That was... Interesting. "Did your parents get to raise you?" She was curious as to whether they took him away or not.

     He nods. "They believed my mother's breast milk would help strengthen my ability, similar to how it helps build a child's immune system. When my parents conceived they allowed my mum and dad to share a cell and I lived with them."

     She pictures herself and 254 living in their cell, raising a baby with his eyes and her hair. Grief fills her heart when she remembers that child, if she did manage to conceive, wouldn't be raised with 254 because he wouldn't be the father. "I'm glad they got to bring you up."

     "I'm happy about that too, love. I'll always cherish my memories of them. Hopefully I'll see them again someday." His voice grows thick and 391 isn't sure if it's tears or the gas.

     Shr frowns. "How longs it been?"

    He sighs longingly. "After impregnating Subject 19... I never went back."

     Since he was 14...God, she can't imagine being forced to do such a thing that young, and then be taken away from your family.

    Tears fill her eyes. "I'm so sorry," she breathes. The place between her legs burn, becoming harder to ignore. "They must miss you so much."

     He nods, a bead of sweat dripping down his forehead. "I miss-"

     An explosion rocks the facility.

     391 let's out a scream, dropping her book and instinctively covering her head with her arms whilst 81 jumps to a stand.

     "What the fuck was that?!" She pants, heart racing. Her palms grew wet and jesus she wishes she didn't need to be fucked so bad right now.

     "I don't know, love," he sounds scared, looking at her with wide eyes. "Do you think it's to do with that guard?"

     Her mouth falls open, heart plummeting. "Oh my god. I hope 254 is okay."

     An alarm shrills.

     "Ouch!" 391 exclaims, covering her ears. She watches as 81 does the same. "What should we do?!" she shouts over the noise.

     "I don't know!" His pained expression matches her own. "Should we press the emergency button?!"

     She doesn't know if it'll do much, considering the Scientists must have heard all the noise, but nods anyway. If anything, maybe they'll be an explanation. "Yeah!"

    Wincing at the ringing sound, he steps towards the door and slams his palm onto the red button.

     They wait.

   ...Nothing happens.

     The alarm continues to sound.

     391 nods towards it. "Again!"

      81 dips his chin before pressing it with more force.

     Before he can remove his hand, a automated voice appears overhead.

     "This is not a drill. All Subjects remain in your cell. This is not a drill. All Subjects remain in your cell. This-" it repeats.

      "Its coming from the hall, too! " 391 notices.

     "Yeah!" 81 agrees and then groans, leaning onto the wall. "Oh fuck-nugget cock-womble!" he exclaims roughly. "It's starting, love!"

     She's stunned by his choice of swear words before she shakes herself out of it. "Shit."

     She knows how he felt. She didn't feel like she could hold on much longer either. But they needed to because some serious shit was happening.

     And as if to confirm her thoughts, the cell door slides open.

     Only... No one was on the other side.

     She stares at it in shock, mind racing, while 81 blinks at it, trying to clear the fog in his head.

     391 licks her lips, ignoring the ache in her core. "We should try an escape," she blurts, eyes wide.