1.29: In Which He Rambles

Luckily, she didn't get pregnant that month.

      Despite being unbelievably happy about that fact... She couldn't help but worry if there was something wrong with her.

      What if she couldn't ever have kids?

      Not that she's really thought about it before. Well, she might have done before she lost her memory. Oh god, what if she had a child out there somewhere? She didn't know which scenario was worse.

       "Her ovulation is early this month," Frank reveals, looking over the scan of her ovaries. "We'll have to administer the serum early. Tonight, even, to be safe."

       Luis nods. "I'll get it set up." He leaves the room.

       "How is 254?" she asks, as usual, slipping her bottoms up her legs underneath the blue gown. She didn't look at him and her tone wasn't kind - she still hated his fucking guts but he was the only link to her love.

       He sighs, annoyed, through his nostrils. "You should forget about your old cell mate. He has his own partner now and has accepted the situation. You should as well." He scratches at his chin.

       She froze. Her heart sinks and lips part. The world felt like it had just fallen out from underneath her.

       Was he lying? Possibly. He had lied before. Like when he told her she'd return to 254. But... There was still a chance that he was telling the truth.

       What if 254 was a ladies man? Maybe that's why Ashley had been so bitter he'd moved on from her to 394. Was she just his latest conquest?

        Jesus.

        She can't breathe, insecurities making her head spin.

       The thought of 254 moving on from her scared her more than another week of being bred like a farm animal. Numbly, she unties the gown behind her neck before slipping her top over her head.

       "James. Return her to her cell," Frank calls to the guard outside of the door.

       Pervy guard steps into the room, but something about him was... Off.

       391 narrows her eyes. He wasn't going to try anything again... Was he?

       If he did... She'd kill him - not caring about the consequences or the punishment which would undoubtedly follow. Hell, pain would be a welcomed escape from her shit reality.

       "391," James - or Pervy, as she'd nicknamed him - said, flicking his head in the direction of the door he held open. He didn't look at her.

       Eyeing him warily, she slid off of the table and followed him out of the room.

       Tension rolled off of him like thick smoke as they ventured through the white halls. She wondered what could be wrong with him. Although, from what she could remember, something had been bothering him for a long time now. From the day she'd been taken from 254's cell, to be precise...

       "What's up with you?" She questioned, more out of curiosity than concern.

       "Nothin'."

       She didn't think she was going to get a better answer than that so she sighed in disappointment and continued their path to hers and 81's cell.

       Maybe she was just hoping he'd tell her so she'd feel better about her own troubles.

       They reach her door and before he opens it, his posture changes. She senses that he wants to say something. So watches patiently as he seems to struggle to find words.