1.18: In Which They're trying(and failing)

A week later and 254 was more than frustrated.

     He still hadn't found the right words to heal things between them but at least they were talking...somewhat.

     She still wasn't letting him hold her. Understandable, he guesses, but fuck he misses it.

     The Beast still gave him hell. Damn thing was giving him a headache, switching between howling miserably and whimpering like a kicked puppy. He longed for his mate.

     And, hell, 254 longed for her too.

     "No changes," Doctor Pencil Neck announces before putting his equipment away.

      254 only grunts in acknowledgement.

     Frank almost looks amused. "I heard you and 391 are no longer sharing a bed..."

     254 grits his teeth. Knows the Doctor was fishing for information."Hmph," is all he goes with.

     "Speaking of 391." He closes the metal case. "She's doing very well with her abilities. Seems she can't keep them activated for more than five minutes but with how quickly she's progressing, that soon won't be an issue."

     He represses the urge to say I know. "That's good."

      "But she needs more than just her powers."

      254's eyes cut over to the doctor. "Huh?"

      "I'd like for you to teach her hand-to-hand combat."

      "Me?" He's shocked at that. He's not had training himself, where would he even start?

      "Yes, you're a natural in that area."

      He's not wrong. 254 often wondered if he'd been a fighter before he'd lost his memory. "All right. Guess I can do it." Gives him an excuse to talk to her.

       ...and be close to her.

       The Beast rumbles in an improvement at the thought of dominating his mate.

       Frank is pleased. "Great! You'll start tomorrow."

       --

       "C'mon... C'mon..." 391 whispers to herself in the empty cell, eyes locked onto her up-turned palms, ignited with fire.

     So far she seemed to have mastered the art of activating her abilities on will but keeping them going was becoming a problem.

       Unless she was royally pissed off...they only stuck around for a few minutes at most.

      Glancing the clock, she bites her lip. Thirty seconds to beat her record...

      As if on cue, the flames flicker before disappearing. Heat leaves her palms like she'd just dipped them in water.

      She sighs in frustration, flopping back against her pillows.

      Maybe she was expecting too much too soon. She had only just mastered turning them on and off.

     Glancing over at 254's empty bed, she wonders how he was doing. She hoped they weren't hurting him.

      Worrying her bottom lip, she thinks about the last time she slept over there, snuggled in the warmth of his embrace.

      She missed him...

      Time had healed the hurt she felt when she first heard the news of his and Ashley's encounter, and looking back, she felt rather foolish for acting the way she did.