Chapter 3: "What if I fall out of love with him?"

Men of Letters Bunker, Lebanon, Kansas

    Cassandra lay on her stomach, sprawled across the mattress with her chin resting in her hand as she stared blankly at the wall. She could see flashes of her time in Hell and winced slightly at the memory of the first time Lucifer had planted the hallucination of Dean dying. It was bloody and gruesome, a sight she never wanted to see again, especially not for real.

    She was so lost in her memories that she hadn't heard Dean come into the room and lay down next to her, mimicking her position. The mattress sunk beneath his weight and he furrowed his eyebrows when he realized that Cassandra hadn't felt it.

    "Cassy?"

    She snapped out of her own world and turned her head towards Dean, a smile crossing her lips at the sight of the Hunter. "Hey," she whispered, her eyes slightly glossy with tears.

    "You disappeared on us. What happened?" Dean questioned. He, Sam, and Cassandra had all been watching a movie when she excused herself to use the bathroom. She hadn't returned and the movie had finished so Dean wandered off to look for her, figuring that she had just gotten lost. She hadn't.

    "Just wasn't feelin' it, I guess. I'm sorry. I should've said something." She shook her head slightly, her gaze dropping to the sheets. Her voice was soft, almost frightened. "Was it at least good?"

    "Princess, you've seen it before. You know how it ends."

    Her face fell. She had? She didn't remember watching it with them. It was rare that they had movie nights during the year of the Apocalypse what with Cassandra always disappearing or someone always getting injured or knocking on death's door. Surely she'd remember a movie.

    "You don't remember, do you?" Dean asked, disappointed.

    The Nephilim slowly shook her head, her painted lips parted. "I don't." She cocked her head to the side slightly, curious. "How does it end?"

    "She dies in his arms," Dean said slowly, hoping that it'd jog her memory in some way. "And he swears that he'll abide by the promise he made to her no matter what. You don't remember that?"

    "Um, no. I don't."

    It was silent for a few moments before Dean asked, "How are you feeling? Anymore memories or visions today? Headaches?" He reached out and took her hand in his, smoothing the pad of his thumb over the back of her hand. He managed a smile, one that didn't reach his eyes.

    "I'm okay. Nothing else, no." Cassandra licked her lips and her gaze shifted to their hands as she watched. She knew that what Dean was doing was more for his comfort than hers. He still wasn't used to her being back and he was taking advantage of every moment with her that he could. "Dean, I'm back for good. You're not going to lose me."

    "I know," he muttered with a nod, his voice cracking. "I know, Princess, it's just...I thought that I wouldn't lose you before and I still did. I thought you were gone forever."

    Cassandra leaned over and planted a kiss on his lips, forcing a smile before pulling away. "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere," she assured him.

    Dean got up and hovered over her, wrapping his arms around her body as she propped herself up on her elbows. She glanced over her shoulder at him, wondering what he was doing. It was a sudden move and an odd one. Dean rested his head on her shoulder and took her hands in his.

    "I love you. I never stopped loving you," he told her, brushing her hair to the side. The scar on her neck from Michael's angel blade was still there and he knew that they could never get rid of it. It was apart of her whether they liked it or not. Dean leaned forward and pressed his lips against the scar before pulling away.